Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • wool applique-part 2 >
  • wool applique-part 2

• wool applique-part 2

Old 02-16-2019, 04:00 AM

Originally Posted by sarge1
    First time working with wool-can't say I'm loving it. How do you adhere your wool appliqué pieces to the background-can you use heat-n-bond? Glue stick? The pattern instructions say to position each piece and sew it down one by one. So I have to take it to the lightbox and line it up on the pattern each time I have a leaf to sew down??

Check out Fusamat...videos and Facebook.
    Old 03-15-2019, 11:23 AM

I wanted to say "thanks" for telling me about Primitive Gatherings. I was able to talk with them and located the wool I was looking for. My order arrived quickly and it's so beautiful, I hate to cut it. I think I should have researched how expensive my new hobby was going to be before getting involved, but so far I am so excited! I have even tried my hand at felting some wool from a jacket I loved that was attacked by a moth. I thought I had gotten rid of the jacket but found it in my scrap bag. I was really excited when I found it as I really loved that jacket. Anyway, thank you again for your help.
    Old 03-15-2019, 11:34 AM

I love wool applique but am just getting started myself. Fig tree quilts has lots of bright soft colors. I signed up for their wool bom hoping that if I have it broken down for me, I will be able to do it.
    Old 03-16-2019, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by Donna2595
    I wanted to say "thanks" for telling me about Primitive Gatherings. I was able to talk with them and located the wool I was looking for. My order arrived quickly and it's so beautiful, I hate to cut it. I think I should have researched how expensive my new hobby was going to be before getting involved, but so far I am so excited! I have even tried my hand at felting some wool from a jacket I loved that was attacked by a moth. I thought I had gotten rid of the jacket but found it in my scrap bag. I was really excited when I found it as I really loved that jacket. Anyway, thank you again for your help.
    A less expensive way is to use Woolies Flannel for the background and applique felted wool to the flannel. I will often use Woolies Flannel on the backs of runners and table mats. Looks much like wool but much less expensive. I prefer 100% wool,but sometimes the budget doesn't allow for it.
    Old 03-16-2019, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the tip!
    Originally Posted by Lena1952
    A less expensive way is to use Woolies Flannel for the background and applique felted wool to the flannel. I will often use Woolies Flannel on the backs of runners and table mats. Looks much like wool but much less expensive. I prefer 100% wool,but sometimes the budget doesn't allow for it.
    Old 03-18-2019, 04:52 AM
    Power Poster

I’ve always used a good quality double sided black flannel for my background with wool appliqué for large quilts. Wool yardage is as much as $60 a yard. I love stitching my appliqué to the flannel and it makes a really nice quilt.
    fabric.com is one place to purchase wool yardage if you really want wool.
    i use wool for small projects. I made (3) different { Backyard Gathering) Quilts like the one I showed, all on flannel with flannel backing too.

A
    Originally Posted by Donna2595
    Hello, I love your quilt. I just started gathering wool for a project I would like to do. I've never appliqued before and wondered if you or anyone else could help me. The project I want to do is by Erica Kaprow called "Everythings Blooming". I like the fact I can do a square at a time, so if I don't complete the entire quilt I will still be happy. My question is the pattern calls for 2 yard of black 100% wool for the flower background and borders. I don't no where to by wool by the yard. I saw one place that sells it but I am not sure exactly what to buy. There are different types. The one I am interested in says "merino wool". Can you or anyone out there help me find this so I can get started? I am excited about my new hobby and I am glad I found the Quilting Board
    Old 03-18-2019, 12:55 PM

I go to Goodwill stores and find wool skirts or jackets and felt the wool myself. Cut the clothing apart at the seams and felt. The only drawback is that you get a lot of each piece/color. I look at where the clothing is seamed and decide if that piece is large enough. I once bought a rather large winter coat and felted it. I have enough of that color to last me forever.