Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wool batting >
  • Wool batting

• Wool batting

Old 07-15-2024, 04:22 PM

Default Wool batting

What’s the best deal for price
    Hobb’s has a sale on batting you can buy a case of 6 individual bags of batting or you can buy a roll
    I was just wondering if anyone had bought the roll of batting and how many quilts they got out of it
    They said it was 25 yards that would be approximately 7.5 quilts for king size
    Old 07-15-2024, 04:42 PM
    Power Poster

I haven't bought wool batting in over five years. I use to buy it at Paducah quilt show and have it shipped to my home. The price there was discounted a lot and it was a reasonable price before the discount. I still have some as I bought it every year I went to the show before covid. The best prices now seem to be about $46 for a king size on a 30% off sale that several online shops have several times a year.
    Old 07-15-2024, 04:47 PM
    mkc

Originally Posted by shirley m larson
    What’s the best deal for price
    Hobb’s has a sale on batting you can buy a case of 6 individual bags of batting or you can buy a roll
    I was just wondering if anyone had bought the roll of batting and how many quilts they got out of it
    They said it was 25 yards that would be approximately 7.5 quilts for king size
    How wide?

If 96", you likely won't get a king size out of it at all since it won't be wide enough for what's typically considered king size. 108" yes, but be aware with 4" on either side that limits you to 100" wide tops.
    Old 07-15-2024, 05:54 PM
    Power Poster

Shirley ... Like most things, there's pros and cons towards bagged vs. yard good battings.

First of all, have you used Hobbs wool battings before, to know if you like it?
    If not, do you want to take the risk on an unknown for you?

What size of quilts, wall hangings, table runners, etc. do you make.
    How much wastage do you have from bagged battings?
    Usually there can be less wastage with rolls.
    Are the bagged batts big enough for the quilts you make?
    Or do they need to be pieced?
    Will the roll be wide enough? Or will you still need to piece?

Bags can easily be moved around, and are easy to find storage in homes.
    Rolls are weightier and bulkier, and sometimes can be darned awkward to move.
    Let alone to find somewhere to store them in your home.

Do you want all your upcoming projects to have the same battings?
    Or do you like different batting types according to the project?
    Do you want/need wool batting in every project?

How long will a roll last you?
    How long will the case of bagged batts last?

While Hobbs has a sale for you on both ... what price is each per square inch?
    Usually roll battings are less per square inch. Maybe not?

Is the saving enough of an incentive regardless of which type?

I've given you some of the pros and cons to consider.
    There's lots more, I am sure.

Shirley ... Only you have the answers as to what is right for YOU!!

Last edited by QuiltE; 07-15-2024 at 05:56 PM.
    Old 07-16-2024, 05:32 AM

My preference is always for the rolls. You can cut the size you want. There will still be some waste. But I use that waste most of the time to make battings for smaller quilts. I do like to have a wide roll, 120 inches on hand, as that will work for most of the size quilts I make. As the batting is 120 inches wide, I usually cut the batting for the width I need, using the 120 inches for the length. So how many quilts you make out of a roll really depends. If you are making small quilts less than 60 inches wide, you can sometimes get two quilts out of the width. I also like having a smaller roll on hand like 96 inches. Cutting batting and using it off a roll usually goes much smoother for me as I don't have to deal with most of the fold lines and sometimes stretched places of bagged batting. I have had a very stretched out king sized batting that had such distorted stretched out places, I actually ended up cutting out a section and putting in a sort of dart. I like to mark what a left-over piece and the size is. I have made franken batting with just a couple of seams out of the cut offs sometimes and have used a lot of it in lap quilts. The downside is the shipping as that can be expensive, you also need a place to store the batting, and cutting it. I am lucky as I have a room that I can store it in and for cutting the length, I just have two old dining room chairs with slat backings that I can put an old shower rod through and place the batting roll like a roll of toilet paper. I then just measure out the length I need with 120-inch tape measure and mark the line using roller chalk and a straight edge (I use an unused length of wood trim for floorings I had laying around.) I think you could also just snap a chalk line across the batt too. Also, the batting the from the roll also ends up being squared up as packaged batting can sometimes be a bit lopsided and you really have to measure the size too.
    Old 07-19-2024, 08:55 PM

How many quilts a year do you make? If it's a lot, then a roll of batting could be the way to go. Otherwise, they are heavy and get in the way. I have had a couple of rolls and they did get in the way even though I kept them in the corners. The last one I had I gave it away when it was about 1/2 done. Just couldn't stand it anymore. And I fell in love with the wool batting, then I sent 2 of my quilts to a LA and their batting was super reasonable. So my sister's guild said the would be thrilled to have my batting I couldn't get it in her car fast enough. There are so many places on line that sell batting at a super good price I no longer keep it on hand. Just order it when I need it.
    Old 07-20-2024, 07:02 AM
    Power Poster

I have picked up packaged batts occasionally when they were on sale, or when I wanted to try a different type of batting. But my preference is for the big rolls of batting. I use primarily W&W or W&N from the Warm Company, as well as their Soft & Bright, and Warm & Plush but I also keep a roll of black batting on hand, as well as a couple of others. They do take up space. Luckily my home has a 2-car garage where I park, as well as a 1-car garage that I use for storage. Right now, though, the opened rolls of batting are in a spare bathroom that was never used.