Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • work or no work >
  • work or no work

• work or no work

Old 04-18-2010, 09:32 AM

I work 50 hours a week with a minimal commute and dont have kids. Im lucky enough that I have a housekeeper that comes in twice a month to clean the house so I only have to "pick up".

Since my hubby works Saturdays, I usually quilt all day (10-12 hours) Saturday or Sunday and one or two evenings a week for a few hours while I watch TV. I do have a dedicated sewing room that I will post a pic of one day after I finish the quilt I am working on.
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:34 AM

I work 48 hours a week in 5 days (as does hubby)...I'm lucky that I have a hubby that is super supportive of my hobbies! He is often in the kitchen cooking or cleaning while I'm sewing, and he's not above grabbing a broom, mop, or toliet scrubber!
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:37 AM
    Power Poster

When I was working Full time didn't get much done, especially during the winter . My two sons are grown , so I don't have to worry about them. if I "had" to get things done I would stay up late and work on the weekends more than I wanted to :roll: As others said Don't bother trying when you are tired :oops: LOL

Now that I have lost my job I have more time.... its a catch 22 more time , but less money :wink:
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:41 AM

I am lucky that I was able to retire early. For the last two years I've been able to sew to my heart's content. Before that, I was working a 40 hr week and I sewed in the evenings and on weekends, not every night or every weekend, but enough to keep me satisfied. We had a large loft in our condo and my hubby's office was at one end and my sewing room at the other. He always spends a lot of time in his office on his computer, so I would head upstairs to sew and we'd turn the radio on and we'd both be content! But being retired is sooo much better! I love being able to sew when I want, even though I have to spend some time on the house we are refurbishing. Like now, I WANT to sew and I have to go paint the bathroom. grrrrr
    Old 04-18-2010, 09:43 AM

It helps having a sewing room with a door that closes! I found working full time that I could piece or cut 15-20 minutes before I left for work. I learned the hard way NOT to cut fabric at 9 pm after a long day at work.

Remember, not everyone here gets tons of quilts done. It just seems that way LOL It's not a race, but a journey.
    Old 04-18-2010, 12:43 PM

I work around 20-30 hours a week. Depends on our patient census. I don't have to go to an office but sometimes I have to drive an hour just to a patient's home. I love my job though.
    I try to do a little sewing in the evening but if it has been a long day I just don't have any motivation. On the weekends I try to get some done but spend a lot of time on grocery shopping, laundry, etc.
    It is a good thing all my kids are grown! And I am sure it would sure help to get up before noon on the weekends! lol
    Old 04-18-2010, 01:28 PM

I used to work full time and always took care of the children and animals and house. Now I am disabled and all the kids are married and away from home. I still keep my house which is hard some days, but usually do not have a lot to do. I can sew when I want, when my back lets me. Some days I get to sew for a few hours. Some days none. DH is a jewel. If I am having a good day and am sewing he will either cook or pick up supper for us. He is very supportive. We are in the process of redoing our house so I have not been able to do a lot, but I have been playing with my new embroidery machine my DH got for me. I love it. I watch a GD two mornings a week. Do all the shopping. I have all my commitments for church and then my time is mine. I am truly blessed.
    Old 04-18-2010, 01:59 PM

I work, though usually only part time. But because I work for an Accountant, the last couple of months I put in alot of hours. Way too tired to do much quilting when I get home. Normal hours are 3 days a week, about 19 hours.
    Old 04-18-2010, 02:19 PM

I teach kdg and there are times of the year when I just simply do not have much time to sew due to added school responsibilities. For example, this next month (May) is always a busy time so I will only worry about getting my BOM finished. I try to sew an hour, or two, every evening. It is easier for me because I have no children at home and my DH is gone at least a couple evenings a week. I, too, am often amazed at the amount of projects some people are able to 'turn out'!
    Old 04-18-2010, 02:25 PM

It's all a big balance, isn't it? I highly recommend buying two weeks of underwear for everyone. And wouldn't your family be better off if you get to goof off in your sewing area? You know it's good for everyone! Get sewing if it relaxes you. It's better than yoga!