Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • work or no work >
  • work or no work

• work or no work

Old 04-18-2010, 02:30 PM

I own my own company but that means I make less than minimum wage for the hours I put in. hehe. Actually I get up early enough to sew for 15 to 20 min. before work and then 1 hour usually in the evening. weekends are hit and miss with family things and church and usually back to work for a few hours.

I don't have help with housework (I wish) but there are now only 3 of us home so it does stay a bit cleaner. I've also learned to live with some of the mess.

I sew for relaxation and fun. Therefore- no quilt police allowed. It's a hobby, not a profession so I just relax.
    Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 PM

I work 4 12 hour shifts a week . Have 11/2-2 hour commute. I don't try to do anything during the week except my e-mail and computer games. I work nights and my husband is retired so he does everything but feed and bathe me.LOL I spend the first day off sleeping then have the next days to do anything I want. Life is good!
    Old 04-18-2010, 02:59 PM

Before being laid off I worked 40+ hours and almost 2 hours commute (sometimes more), I did alot of cutting out on weekends, sewed simple like log cabins, added a strip to about 24 blocks (chain pieced) before and after work.
    I have to admit my Husband is super, he cooks almost all the meals, does the laundry, and shopping. It allows me the time to sew/quilt.
    I would iron my prewashed fabric before work. :-)
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:03 PM

I am one of those people that help with housework (I clean houses part-time). Sounds like I could get some new customers here if it wasn't for the long commute. I must admit I get less done now than when I worked in an office full-time. You know what they say, "If you want something done, ask the working mother".
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:16 PM

I hear your frustration. I am so tired when I get home (get up at 6:00 AM and get home at 6:00 PM. By the time I change and eat dinner (DH makes dinner - he's retired) it is 6:45. I read mail, watch news. I don't sew in the evening because I make mistakes (too tired). So, I occasionally take a vacation day to "treat" myself to a day of doing what I want. The weekends are usually taken up with family, grandchildren, shopping. I think I will be joining the retired set next year and be able to pursue some of my passions. In the meantime I spend more time creating quilts in my mind than in my sewing room.
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:33 PM

You know you are right about imposing rules on ourselves....I thinj I have done that forever and I am going to change it. I think because I like to sew I alway feel that I should have everything done around the house before I sat down at the machine....that is going to change starting Today. We have our divorced daughter living with us, we have raised two of her children and adopted the other two who are 12 and 15. We are 22 yr old who took time off from college until fall and the other is in college and she is 20. My husband is still recovering from his third bypass surgery this past november and forced retirment due to poor health...I am going to start sewing when I feel like it......
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:34 PM

I am 51, retired two years and WON'T be going back to work cuz my pension is generous... I am lucky! I don't get to sew as much as I want because I have so many other things to do! Scrapbooking, photography, making doll clothes, writing and making slide shows on DVD... just to name a few! So when I see all the gorgeous things the people on this board are doing, I sigh and say, "Maybe someday..."

Hats off to all you creative people!
    Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM

I work full time 8-5 5 days a week. I am an empty nester, and long ago housekeeping became about my 5th priority item. So, I guess I do have more time to quilt than some, but not as much as others.
    Old 04-18-2010, 04:30 PM

I work 42 to sometimes 48 hours a week. My DH is great help. He gets off work before I do and I come home to suppper cooking. I hand quilt in fornt of the TV at night. I am on line at night too, and piece my quilts on weekends.
    Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM

I have always found time to sew. I sewed in the dining room for years and it was great because I could sew a few seams while the potatos baked or boiled, while I was waiting for the oven to preheat, whatever. Also threw in a load of laundry as soon as I got home from work and it could also be washing while I cooked and sewed. We raised 5 kids and I worked full time and still made clothes and quilts. Figure out a way to have a little time for yourself and the things you love to do. You only live once!