Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Working with pastels >
  • Working with pastels

• Working with pastels

Old 04-04-2013, 04:46 AM

Default Working with pastels

In 6 months, we will attend a family wedding several states away. I thought of making the couple a good sized quilt, so wrote and asked the mother of the bride for her daughter's favorite color. Her reply was neutrals: light tans, gray, soft butter yellow, soft muted greens. Disappointed to learn this for 2 reasons: although this would be THEIR quilt, I actually dislike pastels (LOVE COLOR), own none in my stash for that reason, never wear them, cannot imagine working with them for even one hour. Secondly, with the blandness I have no idea how to have contrast even by adding white, showcase any pattern or produce an attractive result. It all just seems BLAH to me. I would not use black to make the pastels pop either, defeats the whole purpose. So, am rethinking the whole idea. Any input? THX
    Old 04-04-2013, 04:49 AM

I'm right there with you sister! I am not a huge fan of pastels either. Are her wedding colors something other than pastels? If so maybe you could do a quilt in those colors.
    Old 04-04-2013, 04:52 AM

I am of no help with this .. when I look in my stash ... almost no pastels. I did make a quilt that was pastels a while back, but what gave it a bit a "zip" was it was all pastel florals .. a lot of them. I had this box of pastel florals scraps that I had no clue what to do with them. This is that quilt.http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...d-t133140.html

Last edited by Lori S; 04-04-2013 at 04:56 AM.
    Old 04-04-2013, 05:01 AM

Not a fan of "sans color" myself, but having said that, there are some wonderful things that you can do with the neutrals. I find myself drawn to them, but unless I HAD to for whatever reason, I wouldn't opt to use them.

Perhaps something like this could work for you...the colors are brighter than neutral, but still in that neutral family. They aren't loud, but classically pretty (IMO) I think there may be more options to "push the envelope" with an antique white or butter yellow background in the florals department Good luck!

http://img1.etsystatic.com/003/0/5411985

http://img3.etsystatic.com/000/0/590....301954719.jpg

Pardon this commercial suggestion; just looking at the colors with this one
    Old 04-04-2013, 05:10 AM

Perhaps buying a gift would be better than making something the couple would not like and not use. You could buy a nice matelasse bedspread in a soft ivory from Amazon for under $50.
    Old 04-04-2013, 05:17 AM

A friend made a log cabin in shades of cream and tan for her daughter that was gorgeous. I have seen several quilts made like this and they are very striking. The colors listed, gray, butter yellow and greens would make up pretty in a rail fence.
    Old 04-04-2013, 05:30 AM

Yes, I think I would "suddenly not have time" to pursue a quilt I couldn't enjoy making.

Dina
    Old 04-04-2013, 05:39 AM

There are many quilts done in neutrals that are simply lovely. If you are set on making a quilt how about a lap quilt for tv rather than bedsize. That wouldn't take as long if you are working on colors you don't enjoy. Or a wallhanging.

https://www.google.com/search?q=past...iw=911&bih=429
    Old 04-04-2013, 05:50 AM

I know! Make them a "neutral" (boy/girl) baby quilt, and add a wink & a nudge. LOL!
    Old 04-04-2013, 06:01 AM

This would be a lovely quilt if you added a bit of print to these colors. Not every block but here and there. I agree that a log cabin would look wonderful and would be very easy to add the prints with your pastels. Sometimes I do not want to make something because it does not represent what my likes are but, when we do something like this it is with love and I am sure will be much appreciated