Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Working with White Fabric >
  • Working with White Fabric

• Working with White Fabric

Old 07-19-2014, 05:31 AM

While I am working on a quilt I am so "zoomed in" on the details (especially the mistakes, but once it is done...those things become less important and most other people aren't seeing them at all.

I have found that white on white print fabric also helps keep the seams from showing so much.
    Old 07-19-2014, 05:33 AM

Originally Posted by PenniF
    I use lots of white - actually white on white prints - in my quilts and rarely have this problem .... and usually it disappears once the batting is behind it. Maybe it was the weight of the white fabric you chose? Hoping that the batting will ease the problem and your frustration.
    i agree ...i don't use a lot of white. but i do use it as a "bright" accent for some designs. i try, when piecing, to assemble in such a way that the seam will be folded to dark side. i don't usually open seams, but will if it works better that way. i also do twisted or snipped seam allowances to keep seam turned to darker. i read the discussion recently where it was stated that snipped seams as opposed to twisted made for weakness that will tear out in time. not tru if done carefully. my son's quilt is as strong now as when i made it, tho starting to fade w my dil's need to wash it weekly (.
    also agree that the seams allowances wil show less when the batt is in place. as long as you are using white batt ..warm & natural or oter natural off white batt will emphasize the seam allowances.
    Old 07-19-2014, 05:39 AM

White batting will help hide those seams, they'' be barely noticable. Jo Morton will clip seams right up the edge of the stitch line at the intersection and press them in the direction she wants them to go. I've used this method many times and it works. Just dont get too close to the stitch line about an 1/8 or 1/16th away from stitching.
    Old 07-19-2014, 07:31 AM

I made a baby quilt recently, using white for the first time and also the same fabric line, lol! The seams will disappear after you add the batting and backing, but I do recommend that you take extra care to clip any stray threads before you sandwich your quilt. Much to my dismay, I found several dark threads showing through after quilting, and it was way too late to do anything about it. Good luck!
    Attached Thumbnails 10363883_10202052535863925_6975430040740132239_n.jpg  
    Old 07-19-2014, 07:33 AM

I just made a quilt using lots of white. You never see the seams when you use white batting. If you only buy natural batting, this is the one time you need to buy white. You won't be sorry.

Z Any Mouse, your quilt is beautiful!
    Old 07-19-2014, 07:47 AM

When I look at your quilt, I see a well made block and the white edges seem to compliment the block. It has been my experience that you never can hide all the white seams. Sometimes construction demands that you press the seam to the light. I try not to take this personally and go on with my project. Don't give up using white...white frequently give some zip to an otherwise plain pattern. I think your quilt is wonderful.
    Old 07-19-2014, 10:57 AM

Use white batting and it will never be noticed. I love white quilts and I never notice the seams after quilting.
    Old 07-19-2014, 12:02 PM

I agree that the batting will help. You can also plan your quilting to follow some of the seams and make it look like they are part of the design. The biggest thing to remember is that you will always see the seams and think they are a problem. Others will look at the quilt and just see how beautiful it is!
    Old 07-19-2014, 01:01 PM

I use white a lot, usually Kona White or Kona Snow. I always use Warm and White batting with white fabric. I press the seams open most often. After quilting, I never notice any seams showing through. I think your quilt is beautiful, and those seam allowances will disappear with white batting and quilting.
    Old 07-19-2014, 02:41 PM

I use a lot of white in my quilts. I also buy the white version of Warm and Natural. I think it is called Warm and White? Anyway, that solves the problem for me.

Dina