Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • A Worn out Quilt >
  • A Worn out Quilt

• A Worn out Quilt

Old 10-09-2015, 02:53 AM

I would make her a new one and give her a quilt rack for Christmas. Let her place the much loved quilt on the rack and use the new one. You can now get her involved in the fabric selection process, she may choose to have you make one in the same "flavor" as this one or go in a completely surprising direction. Since she appreciates your quilts, go all out for her.
    Old 10-09-2015, 02:57 AM

My Grandson felt the same way about his quilt. I mended it twice and then I made him a new one. He still keeps the old one but it no longer is used everyday.
    Old 10-09-2015, 05:03 AM
    Power Poster

Is it just the squares?? Those could be easily appliqued over. This quilt means a lot to her. If you don't want to, then discuss it with here and find a sections that still is in good condition and make her a wall hanging. Just a thought.
    Old 10-09-2015, 06:03 AM

I am in the same predicament, my daughter wants me to fix an old quilt and I don't feel like it. If I were you, I would retire it (she can keep it in the closet if she wants) but offer to make her a new one. You can only repair so much.
    Old 10-09-2015, 07:29 AM

I made a quilt for my DGD when she was 3 weeks old from a pack of charm squares, some yardage and Minkee backing. She is now 7 yrs old and cannot go to sleep without it. My DD and DGD and DGS came to live with us a year ago, and the first thing she asked was if I could fix her quilt. Some of the seams had pulled apart, so I removed the frayed fabric, used a lightweight woven fusible interfacing, slipped the patches under the existing blocks and zigzagged the pieces in. She doesn't care what it looks like; she's just happy to be able to snuggle under her quilt.

The quilt is more than just a bed covering to your daughter. It is love, comfort, security and a lifetime of snuggling. A new quilt won't be the same.
    Old 10-09-2015, 07:48 AM

you could change it to a cuddle quilt by removing the borders and rebinding?
    As a smaller quilt it would be easier to add more quilting which would help stabilize the central blocks?
    Old 10-09-2015, 11:02 AM

The idea of putting the loved one on a rack or making a wall hanging out of a part of it appeals to me, and a new one for the bed. That is, indeed, a quilt to be loved!
    Old 10-10-2015, 03:43 AM

Originally Posted by wesing
    Of course she loves it, but maybe she could (semi-) retire it and you could re-create the quilt with similar modern, higher-quality fabrics.
    I think that's what I would do. Then she'll have two.
    Old 10-10-2015, 03:46 AM

I agree with a few others. I would repair it then put it up & make a new one. Then she can at least keep the old one for a keepsake. If not then her old one will just get worse & she won't have it to keep. I can see why she loves it so much besides the fact her Mom made it for her, it is an awesome quilt.
    Old 10-10-2015, 03:50 AM

I would probably fix it once more and make her a new one so this would could be kept for sentimental reasons. My daughter has the quilt I made her in elementary school as well. It's a twin size, but she keeps it just because she loves it. I'm surprised it's held in this long, she is 45.