Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • The worst part about binding >
  • The worst part about binding

• The worst part about binding

Old 09-30-2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by merrylouw
    I have two thoughts for you: don't cut your thread longer than 18 inches, and use wax on your thread. Good luck.
    That was my thought, thread too long. Or even occasionally, just let the needle dangle and untwist itself.
    Old 09-30-2015, 07:15 AM

Tartan has explained it perfectly. Give Thread Heaven another try with the shorter thread and I'll bet you'll be much happier.
    Old 09-30-2015, 12:11 PM

If you will always knot the thread that first comes off the spool you will have a lot least problems.
    Old 09-30-2015, 02:49 PM

I've always used thread that's considered "too long" when I stitch by hand. It started with cross stitching as a young child, progressed through needlepoint and crewel, and carried over to quilting. I seldom cut less than 36" strands of thread when hand stitching the binding of a quilt and never, repeat never, have knots or tangles.

I use the right size needle for the thread, thread from the lead end, knot at the spool end, and when the thread starts to twist back on itself, I simply roll the needle in the opposite direction between my thumb and forefinger until there's no twist. No need to coat the thread with anything or drop the needle to let it spin out on it's own (tried that once on someone's advice and the needle fell off onto the carpet). It may be against all the "rules", but it's certainly worked perfectly for me for decades so I'm sticking with it.

To end the thread, I just make the thread equivalent of a french knot in the seam allowance bringing the needle back out a needle length away and pulling the knot through the seam allowance and into the batting.
    Old 10-01-2015, 03:35 PM

Hand quilting thread solved the problem for me. No need to wax it. Never tangles.
    Old 10-01-2015, 03:45 PM
    Power Poster

Make sure you don't pull the thread from the cut end. Thread has a twist and has the least twist when the part coming off the spool goes into the eye of the needle. That way all of the little thread hairs are going in the right direction. When mine starts to tangle, I generally let it hang and untwist itself. Every little trick helps.
    Old 10-01-2015, 07:07 PM

You got all the great advice. I don'tuse any special threads or wax. I just use a thread to match andit's usually a cotton quilting thread. I do keep my length to the18” or less rule and I like the idea of threading up severalneedles at a time so you can just zip along. What a great idea! Oh,and I always use single strand, never double. To hide the knot I gointo the raw quit edge from the back (side near the front sewn downbinding) so that when I pull it, it the tail goes up in there and iseasier to tuck in. Just make sure your tail isn't too long either. No need for that. Just long enough so your knot doesn't undo butshort enough to fit in without it sticking out. Hope this onemore opinion helped!
    Old 10-01-2015, 07:46 PM
    Power Poster

I sew my bindings on by machine and avoid all of this angst!