Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would anyone be interested in an Affairs of the Heart QAL? >
  • Would anyone be interested in an Affairs of the Heart QAL?

• Would anyone be interested in an Affairs of the Heart QAL?

Old 10-17-2014, 08:03 PM
    Gay

Are you planning on applique by hand, machine, or is it machine embroidery? I don't have the book or know anyone who has done this, but I am tempted.
    Old 10-17-2014, 09:10 PM

I think this would be a great project for next year - I LOVE applique, don't do needle turned, but enjoy machine applique. Will start looking thru my fabrics & scraps and getting them together..
    Old 10-17-2014, 10:00 PM

Sorry I have left mine half finished while I go to monthly applique and embroidery class. We have 4 blocks to do each month. Paid for classes and have a 5 hours travelling there and back so committed to that at present. If you keep logging in and letting us know how you are getting on could, if all goes well, join in march next year.
    Old 10-17-2014, 11:26 PM

I love appliqué, so am tempted. Does anyone know how much embroidery there is? is it on every block? I hate hand sewing...............
    Old 10-18-2014, 09:12 AM

For all of you brave ladies who have made this quilt or are making or will be making..........please post pictures of quilts and progress. Thanks.
    Old 10-18-2014, 06:46 PM

Okay, to answer a couple questions:

The quilt can be done with either hand or machine applique. I think I will be doing hand applique. I'm machine appliqueing Elsa's Coronation Dress for my cousin's Halloween costume and I'm personally finding the curves a bit tedious. I do have a question for those who love machine applique - do you use a satin stitch or a blanket stitch?

There is a fair amount of embroidery, but I think it is mostly optional. You could get a close approximation of the embroidery with some FMQ.

I am personally considering needle turn applique, hand QAYG, and then machine piecing the finished blocks. It is Hockey Season, so I'll have plenty of time to sit in front of the TV and stitch. However, the quilt can be put together in whatever method suits you best.
    Old 10-18-2014, 09:00 PM

To answer the machine applique question - I rarely use the satin stitch - I love the blanket/hem stitch, you can vary the size to use on small pcs. There is also a stitch on my machine that does a funky straight stitch that is neat.. It kinda goes forward, then back a couple stitches, then forward, etc. It gives a sort of a 'raised' stitch, I sometimes use it with the blanket stitch. I'm NOT a hand stitcher, never have been..lol but I have machine appliqued for years, it's just enjoyable to me. Hope that helps..

Jean
    Old 10-18-2014, 09:57 PM

Oh man this board never ceases's to amaze me! I love this quilt so much and I would love to improve my hand applique. I take it we buy a book? Is there a kit available? I am in the process of finishing a scrappy civil war quilt. I loved making the fabric choices for this beast, but I need a break. Any suggestions?
    Old 10-19-2014, 04:57 AM

Originally Posted by My time
    Oh man this board never ceases's to amaze me! I love this quilt so much and I would love to improve my hand applique. I take it we buy a book? Is there a kit available? I am in the process of finishing a scrappy civil war quilt. I loved making the fabric choices for this beast, but I need a break. Any suggestions?
    There is a book that you would need to purchase. It is Affairs of the Heart Applique Masterpiece by Aie Rossmann. I also did stumble across a BOM kit being sold by an online retailer that start releasing the blocks next February. If you do a google search for Affairs of the Heart Block of the Month, you should be able to find it rather easily. The BOM I looked at does state that you will receive the book with your first month's blocks.
    Old 10-19-2014, 05:02 AM

Originally Posted by Oksewnsew
    To answer the machine applique question - I rarely use the satin stitch - I love the blanket/hem stitch, you can vary the size to use on small pcs. There is also a stitch on my machine that does a funky straight stitch that is neat.. It kinda goes forward, then back a couple stitches, then forward, etc. It gives a sort of a 'raised' stitch, I sometimes use it with the blanket stitch. I'm NOT a hand stitcher, never have been..lol but I have machine appliqued for years, it's just enjoyable to me. Hope that helps..

Jean
    Thanks for the advice, I will try to test out the blanket stitch on some scraps and see if that goes smoother. I'm using the satin stitch for the applique on the dress.
    Attached Thumbnails 2014-10-13-21.46.30sm.jpg