Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would this fabric work for OBW >
  • Would this fabric work for OBW

• Would this fabric work for OBW

Old 11-12-2010, 02:33 AM

I personally think that it would work great. Check out the link I provided below. It shows talks of fabric choices. My rpint was not large. I used 2.5" for hexagon triangle and think mine turned out fine.

http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-35100-1.htm

Kyia
    Old 11-12-2010, 07:19 AM

Don't be sorry K3N and Mamagus. I love ALL input.

I now think that this print is probably too small, but I think, like Ugly Cook mentioned, a smaller triangle would work okay. I will make at least one or two blocks to check it out.

I do like this fabric anyway so know I will use it regardless.

Someone mentioned on the OBW blog by Cutebuns that a larger print coordinating fabric might be good to add in??????? There is that available but it is a floral and basket like stripe. Don't know about that.

I love this site....everyone is so helpful and all opinions help me zero in on what I will decide to do. Thanks!!!!
    Old 11-12-2010, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by k3n
    I think the print is too small. It reminds me of the fabric I used to make my first one and I was really disappointed - it was hardly any different! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19828-1.htm Look at the link and you'll see the finished top and the original fabric. I'd chose a print with motifs of at least 3" so that thay get chopped into in the cutting process. An 8" repeat will give you two strip stacks yielding around 38 hexagons (you get 18 or 19 per strip) that finish around 6" across so would be enough for a small hanging or baby quilt. But I wouldn't waste my time with this particular fabric, sorry. :-( :-)
    I don't think yours is the small print so much as the limited colors. It's really a beauty, in my opinion, but could maybe use a couple of sashings or a bright border. You really did a lovely job.

I've also found that if it looks like I'm going to get some repeats of the repeats ;-) I just slide my ruler down to a different starting point and then it gives me a whole new set.
    Old 11-12-2010, 07:54 AM
    k3n
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Originally Posted by k3n
    I think the print is too small. It reminds me of the fabric I used to make my first one and I was really disappointed - it was hardly any different! http://www.quiltingboard.com/t-19828-1.htm Look at the link and you'll see the finished top and the original fabric. I'd chose a print with motifs of at least 3" so that thay get chopped into in the cutting process. An 8" repeat will give you two strip stacks yielding around 38 hexagons (you get 18 or 19 per strip) that finish around 6" across so would be enough for a small hanging or baby quilt. But I wouldn't waste my time with this particular fabric, sorry. :-( :-)
    I don't think yours is the small print so much as the limited colors. It's really a beauty, in my opinion, but could maybe use a couple of sashings or a bright border. You really did a lovely job.

I've also found that if it looks like I'm going to get some repeats of the repeats ;-) I just slide my ruler down to a different starting point and then it gives me a whole new set.
    This was finished a long time ago - I gave it a bright red border. Still wasn't happy with it. As for the limited colours - I've seen some beautiful ones in only black and white so I don't think it was that. :-D
    Old 11-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Can you put sashings in this pattern? I do think that a border can "make" a quilt sometimes.

I couldn't find that coordinating fabric at Thousand Bolts again...but I didn't like it that much anyway.

Originally Posted by UglyCook
    Originally Posted by k3n