Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which would you choose??? >
  • Which would you choose???

• Which would you choose???

Old 12-28-2010, 04:49 PM
    Power Poster

I would get a Janome 6500 or Juki straight stitch for piecing and quilting only and the best embrodery machine you could get probably also a Janome. I have a 6500 and it is great.
    Old 12-28-2010, 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Darlene's
    Originally Posted by Maia B
    How about Horizon and separate embroidery machine? Or is that too much? That 11" harp makes me drooooooooool.
    I have really been thinking like you on this lol
    BUT
    It seems alot of the reviews I've read people are having more trouble with the Horizon than they did the 6600P and they are saying the 6600P is sooo much easier to operate and has better stitch quality. so idk what to do lol
    maybe they are older reviews and they hadnt got use to it yet .
    I talk to a dealer close by today and she likes the 6600P better than Horizon to and she said 6600 was def easier to operate.
    Don't misunderstand the people who are having problems with the Horizon. It just came out in May and there were a few issues that needed to be corrected with the single stitch plate and the 1/4" foot had to be redesigned because of the feed dogs. I had the same problem on the 6600P and hated that machine because it always ate my cloth. When I got the Horizon the same thing happened. Then Janome sent out the new single stitch plate to the people who had an issue with a spring that broke and everyone got a new 1/4" foot that had registered their machine on Janome's website. All is well now and working smoothly with the Horizon.
    Old 12-28-2010, 05:05 PM

I have the 11000SE 3.0 and love it it has the magnet hoops to quilt and the embroidery is wonderful I have made 2 queen size quilts on it it does not have the needle feed but you can use the walking foot on it I have use it to do a few stitch in the ditch quilts My friend just bought the 6600and the 350 E and she has done some amazing quilts with them so just get a good dealer that will let you try out all the machines and go with the ones you are most comfortable with the Dealer should be the deal breaker a good dealer offers free classes and service a Trust worthy dealer is the most impportant part
    Old 12-28-2010, 05:34 PM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62

Oh, and any machine I got had to have an automatic thread cutter. It's like living without a garbage disposal. Just have to have it.

Just my two cents worth.
    LOL! We don't have a garbage disposal (never have) and until recently I hadn't even tried the auto thread cutter on my machine. I do use it a little now but I could take it or leave it. I never had one until I got this machine (6600) about 6 mos ago and honestly didn't even know they existed. Needle up/down button, however, is a must-have for me.
    Old 12-28-2010, 05:42 PM

I got a Horizon in August - love it, love it! That would be my selection for you!
    Old 12-28-2010, 05:44 PM

I wouldn't get a combination embroidery machine / sewing machine. If one goes wrong, you are out both until you get them back from repair shop. Just my opinion.
    Old 12-28-2010, 06:23 PM

I am very fortunate as I have the Horizon w/the 11" harp (traded my 6500 in on it) and the Viking Designer SE which I use for small quilts and embroidery. It's taken me 4 1/2 years to acquire both, but I wouldn't trade either for ANY OTHER machine, including a longarm. I LOVE BOTH OF THEM. The advice about a separate machine for embroidery is a wonderful suggestion; if I hadn't had the Designer SE before the Horizon, I would have opted for an embroidery only machine. Hope this helps.

Josi in Sebring FL
    Old 12-28-2010, 06:32 PM

I have a Memory Craft 6600 Janome & a 350E emroidery machine Janome. I prefer to have separate machines in case one has to be in for repairs I still have the other. Do a comparesen of each ones fetures maybe that will help
    Old 12-28-2010, 07:05 PM

I have brothers but...consider if you have to add an attachment to embroider...I didn't like taking one off and readjusting...guess I am spoiled so I wound up getting an additional machine to do my quilting and sewing on...so I can do both at the same time...
    I didn't know enough at the time of my first machine purchase to think about this. So you may want to get a more simple machine to sew and quilt on and use the other for embroidery.
    If that is an option for you.
    You would like the bigger harp for quilting!
    Old 12-28-2010, 07:07 PM

Sounds like with the info you gave, it's the 11000. I have a Bernina that I am so happy with but I really wish I had more arm space. With you being a quilter you would probably regret not getting that feature later on.