Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Which would you choose??? >
  • Which would you choose???

• Which would you choose???

Old 12-28-2010, 08:22 PM
    Power Poster

I'm like you, I don't know, I don't know.
    Old 12-28-2010, 08:51 PM

I have both the Janome QC 6260 and the new Janome Horizon.
    I love them both.
    The 6260 is a workhorse. She'll sew through cement if you ask her :) It doesn't have a walking foot but I put on an aftermarket one and use it almost for everything. It does great FMQ but has a 6 1/2" harp space so that does make things a bit tight.
    The Horizon is a dreamboat. The computerized menu is so easy to use because the dial on the front can be used to "scroll" through the menu instead of hitting a button a hundred times until you get the stitch you want.
    It comes LOADED with every foot you could want.
    It has a free arm and an extension table.
    It has hundreds of stitches, and alphabets too.
    It does have the built in walking foot, and it works very well.
    It has more needle positions than you'll ever need because you can move it from the far left of 7mm to the far right.
    It's a cinch to thread. You can see the bobbin through the clear plate to see if you're low on thread - without having the false alarm "bobbin low" alarms that a lot of computerized machines will give you.
    It has the built in thread cutter. That's great for piecing, but I don't use it in FMQ because I prefer to bury my threads.
    The one and only thing I'd change on the Horizon is the knee lifter. It's too far to the right to be comfortable for me to use - so I just attached a wad of cardboard to the arm with duct tape and now I can reach it fine.
    AND the 11" throat is a dream to sew with.
    I even use my Horizon on my Inspira quilting frame and she does a great job.

When I was doing my shopping, I did have the Husky/Viking 9" throat on order, then changed my mind to the Horizon. I've never looked back.
    LOVE, LOVE, LOVE it!
    Old 12-28-2010, 10:21 PM

Go to the stores that sell the different ones and take a few test drives like you would with a car. Wait a little while and try as many as you think you might like to and then make the decision.
    Old 12-29-2010, 01:18 AM

Horizon just beacuse of the longer arem sapce to quilt with but I love the Vikings Sapphires also long arms.

I do not have the Sapphire but do have 4 Vikings and can machine quilt on all of them

ConnieF
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:04 AM

A Brother dealer told me Brother makes the Babylock?
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by Jamiestitcher62
    Originally Posted by Darlene's
    Originally Posted by Maia B
    How about Horizon and separate embroidery machine? Or is that too much? That 11" harp makes me drooooooooool.
    I have really been thinking like you on this lol
    BUT
    It seems alot of the reviews I've read people are having more trouble with the Horizon than they did the 6600P and they are saying the 6600P is sooo much easier to operate and has better stitch quality. so idk what to do lol
    maybe they are older reviews and they hadnt got use to it yet .
    I talk to a dealer close by today and she likes the 6600P better than Horizon to and she said 6600 was def easier to operate.
    Don't misunderstand the people who are having problems with the Horizon. It just came out in May and there were a few issues that needed to be corrected with the single stitch plate and the 1/4" foot had to be redesigned because of the feed dogs. I had the same problem on the 6600P and hated that machine because it always ate my cloth. When I got the Horizon the same thing happened. Then Janome sent out the new single stitch plate to the people who had an issue with a spring that broke and everyone got a new 1/4" foot that had registered their machine on Janome's website. All is well now and working smoothly with the Horizon.
    I just read about the Horizon issue last night and that it had been fixed bt ty for letting me know that tho !!!
    I'm going today to test it out woohoo !!
    Old 12-29-2010, 08:46 AM

I follow the Horizon group on yahoo, and there aren't any complaints there currently. It's been mentioned that a new foot is sent when you register your machine. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one now except the Accufeed feet are so much wider and and there are fewer of them than on my Babylock Quest Plus. But again, 11".....drooooooool.......
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:41 PM

Originally Posted by watterstide
    I have the 6600 and i love her.
    BUT if you sew garments, it doesn't have the "free arm". i don't believe the 11000 does either.

this was not an issue for me. and i also own the janome platinum, and it does, if i were to ever use it. it is my travel and class machine..12 pounds.

you can go to the Janome website and do a side by side comparison.

all 3 are Heavy,around 25 pounds.
    i would love to have more than a 9 inch throat....but i won't trade the 6600 for any machine.
    Glad to hear what you said about the 6600 as I just bought one today. Got it all together but haven't started it up yet. Can't wait to. I have a Janome 3500 and like that and am keeping it for classes and the freearm feaure. If my 6600 performs as good as the 3500 I will be happy happy. I can do some letters on it right?
    Old 12-29-2010, 02:52 PM

what is the difference between the Janome 6600 and the 6600P? I just got th 6600 today.
    Old 12-29-2010, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I would get a separate embroidery machine. That way the embroidery machine can be sewing away while you are working on the other machine......

That's what I would like....and at that, a simple one. The thing is, I know that once I get a "simple" one, then I'll want to upgrade. Haven't been looking too much, but I do plan to get serious after the first. Any suggestions?