Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you do it? >
  • Would you do it?

• Would you do it?

Old 07-19-2020, 04:18 PM

Default Would you do it?

I have made a sawtooth star quilt that has 12 blocks and the sashing creates a secondary sawtooth star as well. So I misread the pattern and thought I was supposed to use two different fabrics for each of the stars. The center of the star and the secondary should be the same. It probably wouldn’t have been a problem except that I just didn’t like the fabrics together but you didn’t really see it until I put the quilt together. I also had made two extras for pillow shams, so I decided to see how difficult it would be to remove the center of the star. Turns out that it’s not that hard to replace the fabric. Now would you go through all the trouble of replacing the fabric or would you just finish it up the way it is? Oh and let me say that the quilt is a gift for a 70th birthday at the end of the month. What would you do??
    Old 07-19-2020, 04:23 PM
    Power Poster

The real question is what would you do? You will get many opinions. But yours is the only one that counts. Since you mentioned it would be do able to change it I think that is where you are heading. Good luck! Let us know what you decide.
    Old 07-19-2020, 04:24 PM

Personally speaking, I would leave it, especially since it's due by the end of the month, but it would also depend on your available time, just think of it this way and you don't like the original colors, someone else might love the colors together. It's up to you.
    Old 07-19-2020, 06:59 PM

I am one who tries to avoid seam ripping, even if I am a bit unhappy. If I was really displeased, I would try to do a turn edge applique on top of those centers. if they are square centers, that should go pretty smoothly.
    Old 07-20-2020, 03:19 AM

I would leave it. You will be the only one who knows what the pattern was supposed to look like. I often just, Get it done and move one when it doesn't work out the way I thought it should.
    Old 07-20-2020, 04:26 AM

If it were for my personal use, I would totally redo it but it's for someone else who will probably love it. I'd leave it and finish since time is running out. Good Luck.
    Old 07-20-2020, 05:27 AM

It would depend - sometimes it's just that I'm not a fan of particular colors and combinations, but others that are a fan of those colors would love it (I personally don't like purple or green, and not a big fan of blue either) However other times the shade I picked isn't really a good match, and it would look off no matter who is looking at it. And sometimes it's a fabric that is just too close to another in look, and it muddies the design.

So if it was just that it wasn't something I'm a big fan of, since it's a gift I'd probably leave it. If it was one of the other two, I'd probably change it.

Old 07-20-2020, 08:24 AM

I would leave it if all the stitching is in place. However that is my thought. This one is up to you and what your eye is telling you. Of course it means more work and the possibility of replacing more than a single piece of fabric. This one is all up to youl Let us know what you decided. I can't wait to see it.!
    Old 07-20-2020, 08:37 AM

Just because a project maybe isn't exactly what was designed doesn't mean it is so horrible. Sometimes I think it's even better than what is designed and I deliberate alter patterns to get secondary designs or not.

I'd go with as is and not even mention it. But only you know how much this will/won't bother you after it goes. You didn't do on purpose or to be spiteful, it just happened. It was still made with love and joy and it will be received that way.

On this top I didn't re-read the instructions on what was basically my step 3, and took out the feature that I specifically wanted and had worked so hard up to this point for this top to have -- but does it really matter? (The center blocks were supposed to tilt different directions instead of being flat, but because of the business of the fabrics it still looks tilted. Sort of. That's what I tell myself).
    https://www.quiltingboard.com/member...14-621645.html
    Old 07-20-2020, 08:43 AM

As long as it is a gift I think I would leave it. One time a lady told me "it is your quilt and you can do what you like". I am a perfectionist (which I don't like about myself) but as long as this is a gift then the recipient will love it no matter what. Good luck to you.