Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would You Have Bought This? >
  • Would You Have Bought This?

• Would You Have Bought This?

Old 01-14-2011, 05:46 AM

Yes, you should have bought it. It would have made a great Santa outfit for applique or Christmas stockings, or lots of othr things like that. Or, depending on how big it was you could have made a jacket out of it...and living in Ohio you could probably use a wool jacket.
    Old 01-14-2011, 06:05 AM

Yep, me too - I would have bought it. I love, love, felted wool. I am just starting to take some classes on working with wool.
    Old 01-14-2011, 06:12 AM

If it's still there, I'd go back & get it.
    Old 01-14-2011, 06:36 AM

I bought a wool blanket at a yard sale a few years ago. It had been washed and shrunk. I thought they wanted too much for it, but I wanted it for my ironing table. It makes a great padding, better than batting because it doesn't compress like batting does, but yet it gives just enough cusion to press your pieced blocks without the chance of stretching them out of shape like batting can. I got this tip from a professional quilter. Sorry I can't remember who.
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:21 AM

Felt the blanket in your washing machine and make a purse of tote bag. You will probably have enough fabric for several. Or - combine with other felted wools and make a throw. Once wool is properly felted it is great to use for applique since it doesn't ravel. Lucky you for such a great find!
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:23 AM

I would wash it well (add some regular salt to the wash to set the color) and if you don't care for it just use it as a warm batting for your next quilt. :)
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM

My mother and grandmother made wool comforters during WWII out out of my grandfather's old wool suits. They were backed by flannel, not sure what was used for batting. These were the warmest bedding I ever sleep under. You were never cold. Back then you turned the heat off at night to save on cost and frequently woke up to frozen pipes in the kitchen and bath, but you stayed warm in your bed. If prices keep going up and unemployment stays high we may need warm bedding like that again.
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by IndyQuilter
    I bought a wool blanket at a yard sale a few years ago. It had been washed and shrunk. I thought they wanted too much for it, but I wanted it for my ironing table. It makes a great padding, better than batting because it doesn't compress like batting does, but yet it gives just enough cusion to press your pieced blocks without the chance of stretching them out of shape like batting can. I got this tip from a professional quilter. Sorry I can't remember who.
    IndyQuilter - What a great idea! I haven't heard of this before!

After you put the wool padding on your ironing table, do you then cover it with muslin (or other fabric), or do you iron right on the wool surface, without another cover over it?

I am going to have to try this! Thanks!
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:32 AM

My mother and grandmother made wool comforters during WWII out out of my grandfather's old wool suits. They were backed by flannel, not sure what was used for batting. These were the warmest bedding I ever sleep under. You were never cold. Back then you turned the heat off at night to save on cost and frequently woke up to frozen pipes in the kitchen and bath, but you stayed warm in your bed. If prices keep going up and unemployment stays high we may need warm bedding like that again.
    Old 01-14-2011, 07:43 AM

I would have purchased the blanket, taken it home, washed it in the washer (probably in HOT water), dried it in the dryer (on HOT heat) and finally measured to see how large it is and how much 'fabric' I have to work with. It can be used for making a purse, house shoes, booties, hats, muffs, mittens, layered and tied to make a throw rug, used to make penny rugs or candle mats, edged with crocheted lace to make a table mat, rolled up and placed between the screen door and the back door as a wind blocker/insulator, cut and used to make a neck scarf with multi-colored yarn fringe, thrown in the back seat of the car for trips when you need 'just a little extra warmth' or if you should find yourself stranded, and....the list goes on! Wool is one of those fabrics that can be used for so many different things and remember, once it has been felted down you can cut it without threat of fraying!