Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you rather.... >
  • Would you rather....

• Would you rather....

Old 02-26-2014, 08:21 AM
    Power Poster

Most of mine are to be used. I have a couple special occasion ones, and family ones. We are only here for a little while, so I enjoy the beauty as I can~
    Old 02-26-2014, 08:30 AM
    Power Poster

All my life I've been a "saver". I saved favorite clothes (that I never wore) because I didn't want to ruin them; I saved crystal stemware and china because I didn't want it to get broken. Now I save fabric because god forbid I make something and it's not as pretty as it could be and I find a better pattern. So in answer to your question, I only use 3 of the quilts I've made. BTW I gave the china to one daughter who sold it in garage sale and gave the crystal to another daughter who uses it.
    Old 02-26-2014, 09:12 AM

The reason I asked is I bought an older quilt (at an estate auction) that I mentioned in another post about trying to fix. But sadly...I think the repairs are above my skill level, and honestly...there are A LOT of repairs as I look at this quilt. I think it would cost a lot of money to fix a quilt that might not be worth that much. (?) It currently lays on my futon in my sewing room.

I considered folding it up and storing it yesterday...but then what? I didn't buy it to have it lay on a shelf in my closet. If I were to die, there aren't any family members that would care about my quilting (or that particular quilt.) So, I think I just may leave it out until it finally gives it. It will be well loved (by me) while its here.
    Old 02-26-2014, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Lisa_wanna_b_quilter
    A quilt that is not used will likely not have any meaning to the next generation. A quilt is just a cover until it is filled with memories of tent forts, bedtime stories, etc.
    Could not have said it better myself. This is exactly how I feel, so the quilts in my home never see the inside of a closet. I do have some on display, but they rotate on and off the walls along with the quilts on the beds.
    Old 02-26-2014, 10:05 AM

Originally Posted by quiltingnd
    The reason I asked is I bought an older quilt (at an estate auction) that I mentioned in another post about trying to fix. But sadly...I think the repairs are above my skill level, and honestly...there are A LOT of repairs as I look at this quilt. I think it would cost a lot of money to fix a quilt that might not be worth that much. (?) It currently lays on my futon in my sewing room.

I considered folding it up and storing it yesterday...but then what? I didn't buy it to have it lay on a shelf in my closet. If I were to die, there aren't any family members that would care about my quilting (or that particular quilt.) So, I think I just may leave it out until it finally gives it. It will be well loved (by me) while its here.
    That would be the perfect thing to do with that particular quilt. Just looking at a quilt can bring enjoyment.
    Old 02-26-2014, 10:25 AM
    Power Poster

There are plenty of beautiful quilts in museums to admire. I tell my kids to let the museums do the quilt storing and for them to use the quilts I make.
    Old 02-26-2014, 12:02 PM

I have one quilt that I no longer use; it was given to me on the occasion of my first wedding by a dear family friend who was in the Air Force with my mother. I used it till it had two holes in it and most of the quilting stitches are gone. It has been a well loved quilt, but the friend passed away several years ago from breast cancer, and it means too much to me to let it get to the point where it's ratty looking. Right now, the quilt is in the top of my closet, where it will stay till I can decide what to do about it.

I do make seasonal quilts that I change out through the year, but they are well used when they are out. :-)
    Old 02-26-2014, 12:34 PM

I would love to use them, but for some reason, I just can't. I don't know if it's something that I know I'll wear out and not have it to look at or what. That's just me.
    Old 02-26-2014, 04:15 PM

Use it - absolutely. Be sure to take photos before it's used too much. I would prefer that my bed sized quilts not be dragged through the mud and snow, but used inside the house. I don't mind pets on them too much. Kid sized quilts I'd expect receive a harsher treatment than bed quilts.
    Old 02-26-2014, 04:25 PM

Bed sized quilts are used. Wall hangings are hung for display.

Anita