Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class? >
  • Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class?

• Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class?

Old 07-23-2011, 07:35 AM
    Banned

Maybe renting one would be better if you're open to buying new machine. Then you'd have idea what youd like to buy

Vicky

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    Originally Posted by CoyoteQuilts
    Sad you can't take yours. Part of the 'learning' is finding out what problems you will have with the machine you will be using. You can learn FMQ on another machine for the speed of hand and machine and if others have problems you will learn how to trouble shoot.

Good luck on your new adventure.
    Thanks :) From what I've read, my Bernina would not be the best machine to do free-motion quilting on anyway. If I like doing it, I wouldn't be against buying another machine that would have better features such as a bigger throat plate.
    Old 07-23-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by boysmomoflabs
    If you have a chance to pick up a Singer 301, the feed dogs drop for FM quilting. They are relatively light, big sister to the FW, and quite durable machines. Do a search here if you need more info on them...
    WHOA!!! I just discovered the "search" function at your suggestion. What a wealth of information!!! Thanks :-D
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:05 AM

I am sure you will enjoy having a machine to use in class and renting a Bernina will make it easy for you to adjust to. You will have lots of fun at your class. Take your time before jumping into a new purchase and I am a supporter of sewing on vintage machines. I FM on my treadle!
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by sammygirlqt
    I FM on my treadle!
    That is so cool! I wondered why I haven't heard of more people using a treadle sewing machine. It seems like it would be very controllable... maybe even good exercise if you went fast enough? ;-)

I remember riding back and forth on a treadle when I was little. :-D
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:47 AM

Where are you taking classes at? I live in Va and want to take classes but there are any around here. There used to be some machine quilting classes but only on the days that I work. Now I can't find any
    Old 07-23-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    Where are you taking classes? I live in Va and want to take classes but there are any around here. There used to be some machine quilting classes but only on the days that I work. Now I can't find any
    This is a four-day machine-quilting bootcamp in the Denver, CO area in October.
    Old 07-24-2011, 03:51 AM

I use the 1230 & it's a good machine for FM. The fault is with the owner :lol:
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:31 AM

Originally Posted by Lacelady
    Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    I'm thinking about taking a four-day free-motion quilting class that would require an airplane to get to. I have zero experience in free-motion quilting. I don't think I want to ship my Bernina 1630 to the class for fear of something happening to it. It's too heavy to take on the airplane.

The class offers rental of Berninas that are not the same model as mine... specifically models 1230, 1130 and 1090.

Do you think that learning free-motion quilting on one of these machines would be worthwhile to me? I don't know if learning free-motion quilting has more to do with learning the muscle memory required to do it or learning how to use my specific machine to do it.

Which one of the rental machine models would you ask for?
    I have a 1260 (just like the 1230 but with an extra alphabet) That is the closest to yours, I think yours has more bells and whistles, but I am fairly sure that learning FMQ would be very similar. If in doubt, could you consult with the teacher?
    I have the 1260 also and it is great for FMQ. I also have the 1130 (traded up) and it too was fine for FMQ. I find FMQ is more user comfy than learning the machine.
    Old 07-24-2011, 04:43 AM
    Suz

Rent a Bernina with the Bernina Stitch Regulator (BSR). You will love it. S
    Old 07-24-2011, 06:26 AM

I FMQ on my 1630 and love it but i would not ship it. 1230 would be closest - you could learn everything and then come home to your 1630 and let the dancing begin, you are going to love this

some lov e the stitch regulator but to me it gets in the way....i set the machine at slowest speed and "floor it" and then it is my hands that guide the stitch length.