Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class? >
  • Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class?

• Would you Rent a Machine for a Free-Motion Quilting Class?

Old 07-24-2011, 09:31 AM

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    "If in doubt, could you consult with the teacher?"

It took over two weeks to get a reply to my first question about the class from the teacher. I sent another question three days ago and haven't gotten a response yet. They are VERY busy. I'm getting anxious about making a decision and getting an airline reservation before the price increases.

Do you do free-motion quilting on your Bernina?
    I have a Bernina 440Q and a 1090. Yes I have done FMQ on both. I have taken several FMQ classes locally. Learning the FMQ techniques will be well worth your trip, no matter what machine you use, but go with the 1230 since it is closest to your. Have fun!!!
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:41 AM

I'm thinking about taking a four-day free-motion quilting class that would require an airplane to get to. I have zero experience in free-motion quilting. I don't think I want to ship my Bernina 1630 to the class for fear of something happening to it. It's too heavy to take on the airplane.

The class offers rental of Berninas that are not the same model as mine... specifically models 1230, 1130 and 1090.

Do you think that learning free-motion quilting on one of these machines would be worthwhile to me? I don't know if learning free-motion quilting has more to do with learning the muscle memory required to do it or learning how to use my specific machine to do it.

Which one of the rental machine models would you ask for?
    I don't blame you for not taking a chance on shipping your machine.
    You will be happy you rented a Bernina! You're used to a Bernina request the model closest to your model. Who is teaching the class I wonder if she is conected with Bernina. Bernina was the first to make the stitch regulator available to quilters at a reasonable price if you get a chance try one you want be sorry.
    Good luck.
    Old 07-24-2011, 09:52 AM

Originally Posted by ghquilter53
    Jennifer, It looks as if you are a skydiver. My husband is passionate about skydiving. Is a rigger, first jump instructor, coach, and has a demo rating...
    Yes, I love to skydive, but I'm going to sell my gear soon because of carpel tunnel and shoulder issues. I went to do one tandem on my 52nd birthday and somehow that turned into 718 skydives over seven years. :-D

This trip to Denver is the "Big 6 0" birthday present to myself. I hope to meet up with some skydiver friends while there. Tell your husband "Blue Skies" for me! :-)
    Old 07-24-2011, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by haircut2
    Where and when is the class in Colorado? Info on that please!
    Thanks in advance!
    Here is a link to the website:

http://www.harriethargrave.com/heirl...boot-camp.html
    Old 07-24-2011, 10:38 AM

I'm thinking about taking a four-day free-motion quilting class that would require an airplane to get to. I have zero experience in free-motion quilting. I don't think I want to ship my Bernina 1630 to the class for fear of something happening to it. It's too heavy to take on the airplane.

The class offers rental of Berninas that are not the same model as mine... specifically models 1230, 1130 and 1090.

Do you think that learning free-motion quilting on one of these machines would be worthwhile to me? I don't know if learning free-motion quilting has more to do with learning the muscle memory required to do it or learning how to use my specific machine to do it.

I think you are on the right track recognizing it is learning to use your muscles to FMQ. So, they have suggested models similar to yours, just use one of them.
    Old 07-24-2011, 01:27 PM

Jenn,

I would NOT take my machine on a trip like that. It's too much bother! I would NOT hesitate to rent a machine, if they are not provided. It would be nice to get one that is the same brand, but even that is not critical. I doubt the machines that are available to rent are a very "high tech model". You just want to be able to turn it on and know how to drop the feed dogs, etc. I think the instructor would be able to help with this, if necessary (because it is not your machine).

The "trick" to free motion quilting on a domestic machine is to coordinate your hands and feet. (the movement of the fabric with your hands and the speed of your machine with your feet). After learning all the tricks in the class, you will be able to go home and adapt what you've learned to your machine.

So go ahead and take the class and rent the machine without giving it another thought. Have a good time. Ellen
    Old 07-24-2011, 01:31 PM

Just curious, where are you taking the class? I live in Denver so you could contact me if you wanted to "shop" or something, depending on our schedules. Ellen
    Old 07-24-2011, 02:19 PM

See if anyone on this board lives near where you are taking the class AND will lend you a machine like yours. Great way to meet another member.
    Old 07-24-2011, 03:41 PM

My husband is looking for a 105 to 107 elliptical canopy. He turned 60 this year and is going down to a smaller canopy.
    Old 07-24-2011, 03:57 PM

Originally Posted by romanojg
    Where are you taking classes? I live in Va and want to take classes but there are any around here. There used to be some machine quilting classes but only on the days that I work. Now I can't find any
    This is a four-day machine-quilting bootcamp in the Denver, CO area in October.
    I was hoping to attend the course this fall, but I've got a conference I have to be at that week. Good to know that they'll rent machines. Hopefully I can attend next year. I assume this is the HH Bootcamp you are planning to attend.

Cheers, K