Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >
  • Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

• Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-15-2014, 04:11 AM

I would love working with material.....anywhere! Of course I could spend my whole paycheck on fabric, but that's another story. At the local Walmart here, you usually have to grab the inter-store phone and ask for someone to come cut your fabric. Getting out and talking to other women is important, and a paycheck always helps.
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:12 AM

Maybe be a tutor couple days...always a need for these badly and part time at WM? That way you experienced two things u like to do but not full time and still get to play with fabrics!
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:16 AM

Originally Posted by bearisgray
    Is WalMart the only "villain" here?

How many LQS employees have "full benefits"?
    And then there is, Are they hiring?
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:36 AM

Noticed here that only one person has addressed the situation of being on your feet the entire time you might be working at WM. And that is on cement floor. Are you prepared for that? Having been a teacher, tutoring sounds like a possibility. Some kids need that extra boost and you can pick and choose when and whom you help. Some retired teachers really enjoy substituting and the pay is good. I"m really sorry to see what WM has done to their fabric depts in our area. The one where I usually shop was always busy with at least 2 people working the dept because there were that many shoppers. Now there is rarely anyone, even the dept manager, available because of how the dept is stocked! They need Mrs. Sam back to tell the men what we need there.
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by Onebyone
    Don't give up what is good for your well being just to keep someone from being less ticked off about it.
    I love what you said. It applies to many things in life. I'm going to remember it.
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:50 AM

I would work for fabric LOL I would spend whatever I made on fabrics.
    Old 10-15-2014, 04:56 AM

Originally Posted by MartiToo
    Thanks for all your input. I wish I knew someone at this Walmart to ask how they like working there and about the manager. The lady at the fabric department didn't seem to dislike the manager. Working hours would be a problem. Not the working, but driving after dark. My night vision is the pits.

Rumor is that a Hobby Lobby is coming to a nearby town. I think I would love that, but I'd be like those of you who said you spent all your paycheck there. I'll look around and see what else there is. I've even thought of Home Depot or Lowes as long as I didn't have to do any heavy lifting.
    All of the places you mention you may have undesirable hours or department. If you just need social time why not join a quilt guild or sewing circle. Don't know your age but most senior centers (community centers) have a craft or sewing/knitting/ crochet group you could join. Or start one of your own.

Old 10-15-2014, 05:25 AM

If you need the money, then do it! If you are just wanting some time out of the house and some 'fun' money, I would think twice. The above posters are correct...you will work odd shifts and most likely will not be guaranteed the fabric dept. I'm a retired teacher. One year (about 20 years ago) I took a part-time retail job to help with some extra expenses we had. It was in a well-known chain in our area (kind of like a Macy's). At first it was kind of fun...meeting new people, etc. Then it started to get old....having to be there at 5 on a Fri after a long school week...missing church on Sun...sometimes I worked Fri eve, and all day Sat and Sun. Then there were the holidays! One could not request them off nor could one request time off on the stores 'biggest sale of the year' days that happened at least every other month. And, definitely NO having Xmas Eve off. I stuck it out 2 years then one eve I went to work in Sept to discover that a time I had 'requested' no hours had not been accepted. It was another of those 'mandatory' days. I don't remember why I had requested it off but I'm sure it was for some activity one of our three kids had going on. I realized I was missing my children way too much. I wrote an 'I quit' on a piece of paper, signed it and never went back when my shift was over.
    Old 10-15-2014, 07:41 AM

I think I can relate. You are looking for something totally different than teaching. I think any part-time work in retail would do this. Unlike those individuals who are working at such a place you are not worried about the larger concerns such as not being able to make a living wage and not receiving benefits. You are just wanting a change and still justify spending too much money on quilting. If you are willing to work at different hours and at different departments not just at fabrics this might be the job for you. Do know it will end up just like subbing, you will be expected to work more hours and at places you might not be willing to do. Also just like subbing you will not be viewed by coworkers/customers in the same positive light you had been when you were a full-time teacher. But as others aptly pointed out as well it is not forever, you can quit at any time you feel like it. Unlike most working there you are not bound to the job. Best wishes.
    Old 10-15-2014, 07:57 AM
    Power Poster

I would. It should be a nice job unless they bounce you all over