Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)? >
  • Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

• Would you work at Walmart (fabric department)?

Old 10-15-2014, 08:09 AM

Interesting. I am a RN and DH, a construction engineer. When the recession hit and DH was downsized, I could not find a nursing job that worked with anyone's schedule, so I worked at Pier 1 and a Hallmark card shop. I did whatever I could to help pay the bills. One experience was great and one not so great!
    If you don't need the money to support your HABIT, and you are looking for socialization, invite some quilting friends over once/week to all get together and quilt. It will give you someone to talk to and you can get ideas on various techniques from them.
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:33 AM

I understand where you are coming from . My mom used to say I should be working rather than all the charity work I do.
    I personally find the "free" hours I do to be the most rewarding for me. I started a charity called "Knox Frox" because I had lots of trim --we sew dresses/shorts from used pillowcases that are had delivered to needy children --been taken to 6 countries around the world. Many good things come from my time and the many donations that have been added to this small group of workers. Because I am a sewer this appeals to me. Sew on Wed and have contact with ladies through the week. Maybe I am older and don't want to punch a clock for different hours or be walking on cement floors when I don't have too.
    There are so many places --like a hospital gift shop that can use a few hours and meet people.
    Old 10-15-2014, 08:45 AM

it's my dream job
    Old 10-15-2014, 09:38 AM

Sometimes when I'm in Wal-Mart's fabric department, I'm tempted to bring some order to it....straighten bolts, fat quarters, tidy up, because, without a dedicated clerk, it's almost always a mess. I've often wondered what the reaction would be.....maybe no one would even realize I didn't actually work there!

All I can say is, if you do decide to try it, fabric shoppers will welcome you with open arms!
    Old 10-15-2014, 09:52 AM

I work two days a week driving cars for a car rental company and I love it. I call it my mad money, when I get mad I go spend it!! Just kidding, it usually goes for my sewing items.
    Old 10-15-2014, 10:31 AM

I know two people in the Walmart I shop at and they both love their job and was so happy when they got fabric back where they could work in that department again. I am to old and not in good enough health to work outside the house but if I could I would love working with beautiful fabric and maybe having a say in what fabrics were stocked in the store.
    Old 10-15-2014, 11:57 AM

I kinda feel like I already do, lol. I end up spending extra time at walmart...I ride our county transit bus and sometimes have long waits. I have been know to do everything but put the price tag on my fabric. I have been asked to help other customers with questions also. Our local walmart treats their employees well. A lot better than most places.
    Old 10-15-2014, 12:23 PM

I worked at Wal-Mart for 14 yrs., after many job changes for DH, teaching school, substitute teaching, working in his business of insurance, and I enjoyed the job. I wasn't in the Fabric Dept., altho I would have loved it. I was in softlines,and loved that also. Yes, I think you would enjoy the work and esp. not 5 days a week. Hope it works for you. My experience was that everyone works stocking, ect, for several months, then sent to the departments that need the help. So, not trying to "rain on your parade," but don't get your hopes up that you get what dept. you want at first. Mariah.
    Old 10-15-2014, 12:44 PM
    Power Poster

It would seem to make sense to put an employee in an area where they have some product knowledge!
    Old 10-15-2014, 12:52 PM

Be careful, at my Walmart they can have you work in ANY department they want
    you to. So, even if you interview and get the position for the fabric department, you
    may be stocking the grocery isles…and never return to the fabric department. My
    Walmart (also) doesn’t staff properly. So, you may be covering more than one area.
    These are actual complaints from the actual people that work there. I’m retired and plan
    to stay that way. The small amount I would make working part time at the Walmart would
    not even cover my gas expense. But, I live 30 miles one way from the Walmart....