Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wow - fabric shrinkage. >
  • Wow - fabric shrinkage.

• Wow - fabric shrinkage.

Old 04-10-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
    I always pre-wash. I still get the puckery look, because the batting shrinks. I have never understood this argument about not pre-washing to get the puckery look. Almost all old quilts were made from fabric scraps that were prevously parts of clothing. Of course it had been pre-washed! My theory is that quilts that do not have the puckery look either have never been washed or were made with polyester batting, which doesn't shrink.
    I DO NOT LIKE the puckery look at all. I even prewash my cotton or cotton/poly batting to avoid that. I like my quilts to look as much like they did when first made as possible after washing.
    Old 04-10-2011, 09:26 AM

I always prewash my fabrics, due to allergies and asthma
    I don't want my carefully pieced blocks to shrink weirdly.
    All the chemicals that are used to process the finished fabrics can't be good for us to be breathing.
    Old 04-10-2011, 09:31 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Lilrain
    I DO NOT LIKE the puckery look at all. I even prewash my cotton or cotton/poly batting to avoid that. I like my quilts to look as much like they did when first made as possible after washing.
    And that's fine. Many people like puckers, many don't, and some of us (me for one) don't care that much, or make the decision on a quilt-by-quilt basis.
    Old 04-10-2011, 09:41 AM

That's why I prewash also. So if you don't and one piece shrinks 3" and one piece doesn't - what a sad looking quilt! I know the ironing is a real pain, so is sandwiching it all together. Unless it's an art quilt that will hang on the wall, I always do wash.
    Old 04-10-2011, 10:00 AM

OTOH, I've begun my quilting journey with a couple of kits (because of fear of color selection), and the instructions for those definitely say DO NOT PRE-WASH, as the fabric pieces are cut either specifically to size, or the amounts provided would not be sufficient if they shrank. So, I accept that I will have shrinkage, and fortunately I like that puckery look. However, since the fabrics in the top are not pre-washed, I feel that I shouldn't pre-wash the backing fabrics either. Or the batting. Does that sound right to you experienced quilters?
    Old 04-10-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by quilter1943
    That's why I prewash also. So if you don't and one piece shrinks 3" and one piece doesn't - what a sad looking quilt! I know the ironing is a real pain, so is sandwiching it all together. Unless it's an art quilt that will hang on the wall, I always do wash.
    And fabrics for any of the art quilts that are fused should be prewashed anyway because the fusible will not stick to the fabrics otherwise.
    Old 04-10-2011, 10:09 AM

I have never pre washed fabric. My quilts just get puckered after washing once quilt is done. I have never had a problem with it shrinking too much and making it wonky. 99% of the ladies I quilt with don't pre wash.
    Old 04-10-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by cheryl rearick
    I went back and started wshing all fabic I had... however do you wash FQ's.... What a mess. So many tangles.... I wonder if pinking shears would help. :)
    Somebody told me years ago to cut a tiny triangle off each corner of the fabric to be washed. It really does seem to keep the stringiness problem down. I hate all those twisted, knotty strings.
    Old 04-10-2011, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by patmas57
    OTOH, I've begun my quilting journey with a couple of kits (because of fear of color selection), and the instructions for those definitely say DO NOT PRE-WASH, as the fabric pieces are cut either specifically to size, or the amounts provided would not be sufficient if they shrank. So, I accept that I will have shrinkage, and fortunately I like that puckery look. However, since the fabrics in the top are not pre-washed, I feel that I shouldn't pre-wash the backing fabrics either. Or the batting. Does that sound right to you experienced quilters?
    Yes! Don't prewash any of it.
    Old 04-10-2011, 10:40 AM

I always prewash. Even FQ's. And I never wash the completed quilt before gifting it.