Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • WOW!  I still can't believe my luck >
  • WOW! I still can't believe my luck

• WOW! I still can't believe my luck

Old 11-28-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Candace
    That's not a special needle.
    Oh, that's good! I always used a "flat side to the back" needle.
    Old 11-28-2011, 03:08 AM

You rotate the needle 90 degrees. The eye of the needle will then be turned to the side. You'll thread it from right to left as you are looking at the machine.
    Old 11-28-2011, 03:19 AM

Originally Posted by Mitch's mom
    You rotate the needle 90 degrees. The eye of the needle will then be turned to the side. You'll thread it from right to left as you are looking at the machine.
    Thanks, I'll try that. I thought that might mess it up while it's sewing. I thought it strange that it said to thread it from back to front.
    I was playing with bobbins last night and I only had one that would work with it. It's bigger than the other bobbins I have. Are the bigger ones available? It's no big deal, I can fill one with white and one with black and make do!
    Old 11-28-2011, 04:00 AM

Wow, that Kenmore is a beauty!
    Old 11-28-2011, 05:14 AM

That Kenmore you will fall in love with. It takes class 15 bobbins and regular needles. You can get those in any Joann's etc. The Kenmore of that style came in two colors. The lavender is the one everyone who collects this sort of machines wants, the beige is much more common. I had one of the beige ones and sold it to someone here. Her son came to pick it up . She PM'd me not too long ago and told me how much she loved the machine. Good thimbles are getting harder to find so congrats on finding ones that work for you. I had a vintage one that I loved and used constantly for applique and quilting. Put a hole right through it and am searching for another like it. I just bought 4 and none fit right. I can't see spending big $ on one since to me I am not going to live long enough to get that much use out of it. lol And the new ones just don't fit right. Enjoy that machine!!!
    Old 11-28-2011, 05:18 AM

love the color of the sewing machine. the thimble is nice too. i'm thinking of trying hand quilting but maybe in about 30 years............lol
    Old 11-28-2011, 05:23 AM

Originally Posted by azwendyg
    Wow, that Kenmore is a beauty!
    Thank you. Love at first site for me? Maybe. I'm doubly happy that it fit my cabinet. Altho now where do I put my bread maker?!
    Old 11-28-2011, 05:42 AM

I've only seen pictures of the beige ones online, looking for information.
    Can you tell I'm new at this sewing-stuff? Thanks to all of you for helping me out.
    I am considering getting the rest of those thimbles while I can. I put some moleskin in it to pad it and it's like night and day. It's so soft and comfortable! And it's heavy and it really pushes that needle in! Just makes it much more pleasant trip thru Quiltville! I don't know what I'm more excited about: the thimble or the machine?!

Originally Posted by damaquilts
    That Kenmore you will fall in love with. It takes class 15 bobbins and regular needles. You can get those in any Joann's etc. The Kenmore of that style came in two colors. The lavender is the one everyone who collects this sort of machines wants, the beige is much more common. I had one of the beige ones and sold it to someone here. Her son came to pick it up . She PM'd me not too long ago and told me how much she loved the machine. Good thimbles are getting harder to find so congrats on finding ones that work for you. I had a vintage one that I loved and used constantly for applique and quilting. Put a hole right through it and am searching for another like it. I just bought 4 and none fit right. I can't see spending big $ on one since to me I am not going to live long enough to get that much use out of it. lol And the new ones just don't fit right. Enjoy that machine!!!
    Old 11-28-2011, 05:48 AM

Oh, how I love those old girls...they're just so sturdy and all business. Glad you found a great one!
    Old 11-28-2011, 05:50 AM

Thanks. I like your bobber. What is it?

Originally Posted by born2bfree67
    love the color of the sewing machine. the thimble is nice too. i'm thinking of trying hand quilting but maybe in about 30 years............lol