Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wow. Price of Backing. >
  • Wow. Price of Backing.

• Wow. Price of Backing.

Old 11-29-2021, 05:59 AM

Default Backing cost

I truly agree. I helped a friend purchased backing for a baby quilt. With that material, batting, and thread, the cost was much more than I had estimated for her. I felt bad because she is new to quilting and I didn't want to run her away with expenses even though it was a smaller quilt. She commented on the fact that making for her bed eventually would cost a fortune!

Bringing in new members at the cost of our craft will be tough.
    Old 11-29-2021, 07:59 AM
    Power Poster

GingerK and Watson ... and of course, other Canucks!
    Lens ... also ... Seniors Days for those "old" enough (I think it's 60 there?) an additional 10% or is it 15% off? Can never remember if it is the 1st or last Monday. Plus they usually have a Christmas special for a week or so, where if you sing a Christmas song, you get % off. Makes for some pretty impressive and fun informal choirs as groups wait at the cash. Oddly enough, it seems people end up not being in a rush for the cashiers!!

Connecting Threads ... didn't know they offered the free shipping. At $85, that's reasonable, as SO many of our Canadian stores do not offer free, or if they do, the minimum is significantly larger, making it less desirable.

Quilter's Nook ... And I never even knew about them! Gosh darn! No, not exactly local for me, but close enough that it would have been do-able!

Undercover Quilts, Fergus ... Another closure. Never re-opened since COVID closure, staying online. Have now had a huge sell-off sale and is closed. Not sure if she is continuing online or not.

Online options are nice to have. Although I still like that touchy-feely-seeabilty and truly knowing what a fabric is!

Caroline Quilts ... Online shop where you pick up at the door. Pretty impressive prices! I've never dealt with her, but she comes highly recommended by MaryKatherine. Close enough for me, and I know, somewhat less convenient for you two, but perhaps the $$$ is worth the drive at times?
    carolinequilts
    Old 11-29-2021, 09:28 AM

I did not know about Caroline Quilts. Thanks for the link, QuiltE. Her prices are very good. I found out about Undercover Quilts closing, too late to make an appointment. Oh well, probably didn't 'need' anything anyway.
    Old 11-29-2021, 01:07 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GingerK
    ............Oh well, probably didn't 'need' anything anyway.
    ... Said no quilter, everrrrrrrrr!!
    *giggles*
    Old 12-01-2021, 06:00 AM

Originally Posted by Watson
    Just bought a backing here in Canada for a queen size quilt. 3 yards of 108.... $90.00 plus tax brings it to just over $100.00 just for the backing.

Can't wait for the day I feel it is safe enough virus-wise to go across the border to Joann's.

Watson
    I can't wait for that day either. Having the boarder closed up like it is is a challenge to us. Living so close to the Canadian boarder gives us the opportunity to go to Windsor a lot. You are definitely aware that you have entered a different country when you cross the boarder. I hope you will be the first one over here. Joann's look out!
    Old 12-01-2021, 07:03 AM

I know there is still exchange rate and other issues, but eQuilter currently has all backs on sale. Again, if you buy over $100 US for us shipping is free, for Canada it is half price, and you usually get a coupon for 10% off your next order.

I think I am losing the battle and about to engage in some retail therapy...