Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Wrist problem >
  • Wrist problem

• Wrist problem

Old 06-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by Rubesgirl
    Thanks ladies! I've had carpal tunnel surgery on that hand before, so that's not the issue this time, it's not in that portion of my hand/wrist. It's probably tendonitis from overuse, as suggested. I will take your suggestions and ice it, rest it and look for the fingerless gloves. If it doesn't get better in a week or so, guess I 'll have to se the doc.
    I have the same kind of pain on the outside of the hand. I was told it is tendonitis, most likely from my ulnar nerves. I had some physical therapy, but the thing that worked the best is rest. As a photographer, I spend a lot of time holding my hand a certain way to hold the camera...and it is also the same way I hold onto the computer mouse when I'm editing. I had a brace I wore, did some exercises, and then did almost NOTHING during my down time to keep it rested. Resting helps the most.
    Old 06-05-2012, 10:30 AM
    Power Poster

I stretch my hands and fingers every so often and no longer sleep with my fingers pointed towards my palm. I also move my shoulders around, as sleeping on it will sometimes cause my arms to go to sleep.
    Old 06-05-2012, 03:33 PM

Carpal Tunnel, its from repetitive motion, stretches, and breaks can help. anything to break up the repetitive motion.
    Old 06-05-2012, 03:43 PM

I have issues with tendinitis in my right arm, I have had it for years. I find that the chiropractor actually helps mine, he says it helps because the issue actually stems from issues with my neck. It is a miserable thing to have to limit something we love, hope you find something that works for you.
    Old 06-05-2012, 04:05 PM

I am not a doctor. (Important to state that up front!)

I had issues with shoulder, arm, wrist and hand pain for years and years and years. At various times I have had tennis elbow, repetitive motion disorders, generalized inflammation, tendonitis and bursitis diagnosed. I dutifully did the physical therapy or massive doses of ibuprofen or rest-with-ice that I was told to do. Always the pain came back. It turned out all to stem from bone spurs in my shoulder joints. It took years to get an accurate diagnosis (and a treatment that worked - surgery). GO TO A DOCTOR and BE PERSISTENT.

Alison

Last edited by alisonquilts; 06-05-2012 at 04:07 PM.
    Old 06-05-2012, 04:24 PM

My friend's PT doctor suggest she try 200mg vit B6 daily. It worked for her!
    Old 06-05-2012, 05:25 PM

The gloves are available from Amazon.com I think I have also seen them in Keepsake Quilting but not in the most recent catalog.
    Old 06-06-2012, 01:30 PM

Carpal tunnel. I wear gloves (they're kind of like support stockings for your wrists) and there is a gel you can buy called Arnica (homepathic) that helps me a lot. I'm a transcriptionist so between typing and sewing I suffer with this a lot.
    Old 06-07-2012, 03:37 AM

I've been doing some heavy duty quilting (paper piecing) plus practicing my hand quilting and the carpal tunnel syndrome is acting up very bad in my right hand. You have my sympathy and empathy about what you are experiencing. I had surgery on my left hand almost 20 years ago. Surprisingly, the non-dominate hand is often worse because of the "supporting" actions of that hand when using your hands. I will get my right hand fixed when I return from a trip. The surgery was a snap the last time and my recovery time was very short and and this was the traditional method. Classic symptoms of carpal tunnel syndrome are the numbness in the thumb and first 3 fingers. I cannot determine the thickness of paper because my fingers are numb and feel like sandpaper. Often there are severe pains running up the top of the hand. Repetitive movements as in quilting aggravates the condition. There are wrist supports you can use, but usually surgery is the final cure. Good luck
    Old 06-07-2012, 03:47 AM

Good luck hope your wrist is better soon