Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Is this wrong of me? >
  • Is this wrong of me?

• Is this wrong of me?

Old 06-07-2011, 03:55 PM

Thank you all for giving me that little smack upside the head that I needed. I'm just going to go with the flow and fix what I can where I can to make it look it's best, with out being a perfectionist....
    Old 06-07-2011, 03:59 PM

it would be a little more work, but i would put sashing, or just above and below the each row, and on the sides, not betweeh blocks, maybe. lay some strips of fabric out and see. You might like it even better
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:01 PM

Ohhhhhh; I know how you feel I did one for someone retiring from the hospital and they gave me all sorts of 5 inch blocks. to big to small puff paint cross stitch quilted and anything else you can think of. Then a center medallion of a photo of the hospital. took me weeks to get it organized. Don't think I'd offer to do that again. Good luck on the finished product.
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:03 PM

I have been involved in making charity quilts where the guild members were to each supply a 12 1/2" block. There were about 100 very experienced quilters who made blocks that (unfinished) varied from 11 3/4 to 13 1/2. I put sashing around the blocks and made some very lovely quilts.

Since what you are doing is going to be a cherished keepsake, accept that things are off and do what you can to make them special. The quilt will be lovely.
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:06 PM

On a group effort like this we can afford to be perfectionists. Do your part, let her do her part and the quilts will be wonderful. Believe me, no one will notice or care if the seams don't match up perfectly or something is a little off. The love that they are made with will shine through. Just let it go.
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:07 PM

The fact that you're all TRYING to make a memory for the teacher is what matters. It will all work out. Don't sweat the small stuff.
    Old 06-07-2011, 04:14 PM

Been there, done that! Sashing around the squares works really well to make the overall view of the blocks seem uniform. As you have it designed there are not any seams to match, so there shouldn't be to much of a problem.

Note: You may have to do a Quilt as you Go approach, in case your helper doesn't turn in her blocks until the night before the quilt is due! I had something like this happen, and I finally just tied the quilt at the last minute and had to turn in the quilt without all the binding attached (just pinned) because I ran out of time. The teacher didn't care, she was just happy to get the quilt.

Moral of the story: Don't Stress! Just plan for the worst and you'll be happy it doesn't happen like that. It will bring back fond memories in later years when you think back on what it took to make the quilt.
    Old 06-07-2011, 05:02 PM

Originally Posted by redquilter
    On a group effort like this we can afford to be perfectionists. Do your part, let her do her part and the quilts will be wonderful. Believe me, no one will notice or care if the seams don't match up perfectly or something is a little off. The love that they are made with will shine through. Just let it go.
    The "let her do her part" is exactly right, she may be just thrilled to be helping and it's not fair to take her "feel good about herself moment" away so that you can make the quilt perfect. They are not judging the quilting skills, they are making a gift of love. Just relax and take a deep breath, I do know that's very hard for a perfectionist to do, but you have to try on this one.
    Old 06-07-2011, 05:08 PM

I agree with kappy, redquilter and scissorqueen.
    Old 06-07-2011, 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by blzzrdqueen
    I wanted to post this too...this is the general layout we are using for the quilt...
    If you use this brick pattern you won't have to worry about seams matching (intersections). I think all the cute blocks will catch everyone's eye, and seams won't even matter. Don't stress over it...have fun with it !