Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yard Sale Material - wash it ?? >
  • Yard Sale Material - wash it ??

• Yard Sale Material - wash it ??

Old 08-07-2010, 11:38 AM

Hi there - my husband was at at yard sale and picked up about 35lbs of material

I have some newbie questions....

1. most of it isn't marked.......it there any way to tell if is 100% cotton -

2. I really want to wash it but a lot of it has unraveled edges - should I cuts those off first? -

3. is there someway I can keep the material from getting any more ragged during the wash?

Appreciate your thoughts

Judy
    Old 08-07-2010, 11:41 AM

A burn test will help determine fiber content - google "fiber content burn test" and you should come up with plenty of info.

I'd zig zag along the edges if you're worried about raveling, or I've read a straight stitch will work as well, and use less thread. But I haven't tried it with a straight stitch.

ETA - I'd definitely wash it, though. No telling where it has been.
    Old 08-07-2010, 11:44 AM

For fabric content I use the match test. I just cut a small piece of fabric and light it with a match. You don't really need to burn it completely, a edge is enough. When it is cool feel the edge, if it feels stiff and scratchy it is some kind of synthetic if not it's a natural fiber.

To deal with the raveled edges I would just trim and sew either a straight or zigzag stitch a 1/4 from the edge.

Congradulations on your find!
    Old 08-07-2010, 11:47 AM

Personally I would just throw it in the wash and take my chances on the edges. I am very weird about germs and stuff and who knows where it's been-I wouldn't want it in my sewing machine until it's been washed. I would do the burn test after washing.
    Old 08-07-2010, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by gale
    Personally I would just throw it in the wash and take my chances on the edges. I am very weird about germs and stuff and who knows where it's been-I wouldn't want it in my sewing machine until it's been washed. I would do the burn test after washing.
    I agree with Gale. I just came home with some rummage sale items, not even fabric, but the first thing I did was washed items well in hot soapy water, except for a few things that aren't washable which I put outside on the sidewalk in the sun to "air."
    Old 08-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Hi JudyNH~

I'd trim the edges and throw it in the wash. Pinking the edges is a good way to stop those tangled edges from reappearing.

I never heard of the burn test so I'm glad I read your question and answers.

Good Luck!
    Old 08-07-2010, 12:02 PM

Thanks, all - will pink the edges, then into the wash, and finally do the content test.....

I can't believe all the responses so quick.........you truly are a "newbie's" lifesaver.........

JudyNH
    Old 08-07-2010, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by JudyNH
    Thanks, all - will pink the edges, then into the wash, and finally do the content test.....

I can't believe all the responses so quick.........you truly are a "newbie's" lifesaver.........

JudyNH
    Glad you got quick answers - we're just sitting here waiting to answer someone's questions ! LOL we should be sewing!
    Old 08-07-2010, 01:59 PM
    Google Goddess

I would do the burn test

http://www.ehow.com/video_4409571_fa...ton-linen.html

and wash the fabric

http://quilting.about.com/od/fabrice...ing_fabric.htm

Originally Posted by JudyNH
    Hi there - my husband was at at yard sale and picked up about 35lbs of material

I have some newbie questions....

1. most of it isn't marked.......it there any way to tell if is 100% cotton -

2. I really want to wash it but a lot of it has unraveled edges - should I cuts those off first? -

3. is there someway I can keep the material from getting any more ragged during the wash?

Appreciate your thoughts

Judy
    Old 08-07-2010, 02:45 PM

Originally Posted by gale
    What she say's. Who knows what lurks in them there threads. The raveling is no big deal in my book. If you are worried about it, just the cornerss of your fabric and that will help keep it from unraveling as badly.