Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yardage instead of Fat quarters >
  • Yardage instead of Fat quarters

• Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Old 06-09-2014, 07:45 AM

I agree - look at pattern closely to see the sizes you will eventually be cutting from the fat quarters. Many newer patterns are written for Fat Quarters, Layer Cakes, Charms, Jelly Rolls, etc. But when you look closely at the pattern it really only requires 10", 5", 2 1/2" squares or rectangles or similar - something you can easily cut yourself from your own stash.

On a current block-of-the-month quilt I'm working on, we start with a fat quarter, but end up only using part of it with lots of fabric / scraps left over.
    Old 06-09-2014, 08:21 AM
    Power Poster

Sit down and really analyze your quilt pattern. Very few of them do use the entire yardage of a fat quarter. Cut out all your pattern pieces using ordinary paper that are required to be cut from a fat quarter and see if you can arrange them to be cut from 2" or 4" or 6" or an 8" strip of WOF.
    Old 06-09-2014, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by Nammie to 7
    I use my stash as my fabric store. If I need fat quarters I cut them from my stash, refold the left over fabric and use it for a different project later. I usually buy a minimum of 3 yards of fabric knowing I won't use it all at once.
    This is what I do too. Just use your own stash and if you need some fillers just buy those.
    Old 06-09-2014, 08:36 AM

Usually if a pattern calls for 16 fat quarters you could probably use 8 half yard cuts and it will look fine. I have too darn many fat quarters in my stash. Those fat 1/4 bundles look so tempting in the shop, I can't resist. But I have learned from experience to buy at least 3 yards of coordinating fabric as most patterns require extra fabric for borders, sashing, etc. Good luck with your quilt!
    Old 06-09-2014, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by toverly
    The last time I bought a FQ bundle, I had the hardest time figuring out what to do with it. So I would stick with yardage. Just pull coordinating yardage from your stash in 16 patterns. If you need more, I'd fill in with solids and go for it.
    If the pattern calls for 16 fq say 4 of one color, 4 of another, etc.....just find those same matching coordinates in your stash, if you can, if not create your own color sceme.....don't stress over it.
    Old 06-09-2014, 10:58 AM

Sometimes FQs are less expensive than yardage because they're on sale more often. I buy them when I'm short on a value (light, medium, or dark) Usually lights because I tend to buy the deeper fabrics and need fillers and more contrast. I also don't have a problem using different pieces of the same value when the pattern calls for just one fabric. I don't mind having scraps left over because I love scrappy quilts. However, I also love my stash and don't mind cutting the yardage for however much of a fat quarter I might need. See, the more I use my stash, the more fabric I can buy to replenish it. Ah, what a joy.
    Old 06-09-2014, 01:19 PM

The biggest advantage to using fat quarters is if you need to cut a piece larger than 9 inches. A quarter yard cut from the bolt is only 9 inches and will not accommodate the larger cuts. So, if you are using your yardage and cuts are smaller than this, go for it.
    Old 06-09-2014, 01:24 PM
    Power Poster

If you have the needed fabrics on hand and you are willing to cut what you need from them, there is no need to buy fat quarters.

I think fat quarters are useful for some purposes, even though I generally avoid buying small precuts.
    Old 06-09-2014, 01:45 PM
    Power Poster

I almost never buy FQs. They are never what I expect in the way of always being cut crooked so you don't get the amount you need.

When Making a pattern that calls for FQs, I just cut them from my stash, however many is required for the pattern.
    peace
    Old 06-09-2014, 04:42 PM

[QUOT=Treasureit;6751278]I rarely buy fat quarters, but when you need 16 of them for one project...it might be cheaper than buying 1 yard of more fabrics. Can you use your fabric for as many as you can and then just buy some fats to fill in?

Also - if I am using my own fabric I just cut what I need from the end of the fabric and not make fats out of it. Many times they just want a piece or two cut from each fabric...not even using the whole FQ.[/QUOTE]

This is what I would do as well. I would not waste my time or stash cutting it into fq's when you might not need anywhere near that much of any given fabric.