Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yardage instead of Fat quarters >
  • Yardage instead of Fat quarters

• Yardage instead of Fat quarters

Old 06-10-2014, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
    Several patterns I am interested in sewing, indicate using fat quarters. I would like to use some of my stash which is mostly l yard or more pieces. I am concerned that the design would be affected. I am so confused and do not know how to adjust the pattern. One pattern suggests 16 FQ which would mean I would have to purchase more fabric. Help me decide what to do. Thank you in advance.
    I am wondering why you would have to purchase more fabric for the 16 FQ pattern if you used yardage? Is it because you don't have yardage of 16 different fabrics that would go well together?
    Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 AM

I think some of the pattern makers are lazy and don't want to go to the trouble of calculating from yardage as well. The only pattern I ever bought had an offhand reference to using yardage, but It was so vague that i ended up drafting it and doing all the calculations from a jelly roll to yardage myself. I think that if you are a well-known pattern and fabric designer and can make plenty of recurring income after the work of putting out the pattern is done, you should a) check it for errors and b) take an extra hour to make the pattern accessible to the people who aren't buying your jelly roll.

JMO,
    Charlotte
    Old 06-11-2014, 04:46 AM

I ALWAYS prewash my fabric, so I no longer use fat quarters. You can cut your own fat quarters, I'm sure everyone has a way of cutting a fat quarter that they like (two good ways, I use). But I would say Google it, you will get videos on how to cut (you are a quilter and visual is always better). You will be able to use your stash and I would bet dollars to donuts, that you don't use 16 different fabrics. Good luck
    Old 06-11-2014, 05:22 AM

Cutting your own FQ from a yard is probably easiest, but it seems like a shame to make those cuts if you will want a larger piece for something else later (unless I'm not understanding this). Even if you just slice out an 18x21 rectangle, you may be left with weird, small pieces for your scrap bag. Better, if you don't mind all the number crunching, to figure out what will really be needed and cut just that.

Hugs,
    Charlotte
    Old 06-11-2014, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by joe'smom
    I am wondering why you would have to purchase more fabric for the 16 FQ pattern if you used yardage? Is it because you don't have yardage of 16 different fabrics that would go well together?
    That is correct, I do not have yardage of 16 different fabrics that would go well together. If I use four different fabrics of 1 yard each, would the design of the pattern be effected?
    Old 06-11-2014, 11:38 AM

Yes, most likely the design will be affected with that many fewer fabrics. Are you able to post a picture of the pattern, or a link? If so, we could give more specific input about how you might proceed. There are definitely patterns out there that use fewer fabrics, it's just a question of finding one. If I recall, some of the BQ patterns work with just a few fabrics.
    Old 06-11-2014, 11:44 AM

Originally Posted by Marcy J.
    That is correct, I do not have yardage of 16 different fabrics that would go well together. If I use four different fabrics of 1 yard each, would the design of the pattern be effected?
    What pattern do you want to use? Some would work well with just 4 different fabrics..I really at the moment can not picture a design (scrappy excluded) that would not work with using 4 instead of 16..or eight.. really depends on the design... New designs are often made by doing something like this..
    try making up a couple blocks or even 4 and laying them out and see if you like it.
    Have fun!! You may become a famous block designer
    Old 06-11-2014, 12:00 PM

Here are two links I found of quilt patterns made with just four fabrics, plus the BQ3 pattern, which looks like it uses four fabrics. These might help you picture how your pattern would look when made with four fabrics instead of the 16.

http://justquilty.com/2013/04/make-a...-four-fabrics/

http://www.amazon.com/Pick-Four-Fabr.../dp/1604680202

http://www.amazon.com/Maple-Island-Q.../dp/B0027S63D6
    Old 06-11-2014, 03:16 PM

I love using up my stash so I will count whatever I have as a fat quarter and use accordingly. I am starting a polka dot quilt soon and have everything from yardage to layer cake. I am just going to start cutting until I've got the number of pieces the sizes they say in the pattern. If I have more scraps left over, I'll just make the quilt bigger! Gosh! I will be so glad to get rid of those scraps!
    Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 PM
    Power Poster

When I was a beginner beginner - I found it easier to follow a pattern exactly - even if it wasn't the most economical way to make an item.