Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Yellow Oliso 1800 watt Iron >
  • Yellow Oliso 1800 watt Iron

• Yellow Oliso 1800 watt Iron

Old 05-07-2011, 09:19 AM

WOW! Thank you everyone for such honest replies!! That is what I LOVE about this board!! When we ask questions we get honest, well thought out answers!!

I have continued to read negative comments over and over on this iron. Hubby was ready to purchase it on the spot!! I (very unusually) was not! :lol: I had already read more negative than positive comments. While this iron was impressive as it was demo'd I have to admit to being somewhat skeptical of these 'Show' demo's. I wasn't ready to lay out that much $$$$ cash!!
    I did research online last nite for top rated irons and so far the Olist never made it to those lists! So for me, that inexpensive iron is looking very very appealing!!
    I will save those hard earned $$$ and use it on fabric instead!! What more of a win~win situation could that be?? :lol:
    Thanks everyone, I truly appreciate your honesty!! :thumbup:
    Old 05-07-2011, 10:07 AM

Your're being wise.
    Old 05-07-2011, 07:08 PM

I have been watching the Oliso irons on E-bay. There are several models to choose from, about 1400 watt to the 1800 watt. Some have a 'buy it now' price and others start bidding a bit lower. I have 3 basic irons in different rooms of the house, but when I used an Oliso at my friends house, I loved it. I always leave my iron flat and am in need of 2 new ironing board pads. The yellow one is too rich for me, I am concidering the 1400 - 1600 watt. I checked the one I am using now and it is a 1200 watt Proctor Silex
    Old 05-25-2011, 07:56 PM

I am on my 4th Oliso... wondering why I ever did it (I love the iron, but they are horribly defective). The first 3 that I purchased had horrid leaks (when turning ON, all of the water in the tank DUMPED itself (all over my board, floor, fabric), so I had to empty the iron whenever turning off). I recently purchased the expensive yellow one (the 2nd of those - the first one leaked so I returned it)... and this one doesn't leak - but it NEVER TURNS OFF. I have to unplug after each use. For 150.00, this is absurd. I need to "get over" enjoying that great leave-the-iron-down feature, because the irons are simply too defective to warrant any price, much less the huge price tag... shame on me for trying FOUR before giving up. This one will be going back soon. Any suggestions on what other brand to try?
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:19 PM

I have one out in my trash can you can have! My first one never got hot and spewed water everywhere. The company replaced it but the 2nd one never really got hot and this week scorched my ironing board when it's little legs gave out. Probably a good thing it never really got hot or I'd have had a fire.

Great concept,though. I hate picking up my new iron. LOL
    Old 05-25-2011, 08:51 PM

Hmm Ollie... What to say... bought him in 2006, TG800 was all the rage.. I had a friend who owns a sewing store in AL and I am in TX this iron was going for 150ish and he had bought tooo many and offered it to me for 50.00 OMG! I could not pay him fast enough... I have not had a problem with it.. up until the last 2 weeks.. Now little bugger won't go into safety mode.. you know shut off.. I use to leave it on and let safety kick in.. also, it doesnt want to wake up out of safety I have to up and down it like 4 times and yell at him..Now he is spitting and dribbling... this is new the other day he went down and didnt want to come back up.. I dont have the problem that others were having Ollie gets hotter than hades.. soo him not coming back up is a problem.. call me stupid but I am on the hunt for another Oliso.. a more modern one ...maybe the the new yellow one or another model number..

as for them... my dog chewed up the water cup thing, called the co and they sent me one free of charge way after my warranty went out....I think they are good...but that was my dealings with them