Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you an Artist or just a Quilter? >
  • Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

• Are you an Artist or just a Quilter?

Old 04-06-2015, 04:58 AM

I think a much more accurate 'tag', if there must be any at all, would be that of artisan. In it's original meaning, an artisan is a skilled craftsman who creates functional or strictly decorative things by hand. They were the blacksmiths, goldsmiths, weavers, and potters of old...and of today.

An artisan is far more than a manual laborer (just a quilter?), but not necessarily as self-expressive as one might consider an artist (yet). And in this day and age, it carries no hint of ego or self-importance. A comfortable mid-point, yes?
    Old 04-06-2015, 06:10 AM

I am both, but not necessarily at the same time.

How's that for an answer? LOL

I like "artisan" as well, but to me artisan implies a higher degree of skill than I currently have in quilting. But I DID claim the title of "artisan" when it came to my soapmaking - I got to be pretty darn good at that and was producing soap that (IMO) was superior quality AND I knew exactly how and why it was superior. I spent a lot of time and did a lot of painstaking research and experimentation to create my recipe, and it is uniquely mine. I still keep it as a secret recipe - I'll share anything else I know about soapmaking but not that recipe, it's MINE. I have no qualms saying I was an artisan soapmaker. (Not really one anymore, it's been years!)

So I will lay claim to being an artist, a crafter, AND an artisan....just not necessarily all of those things at the same time.

When it comes to quilts, I would say I'm most often a crafter, sometimes an artist, but not yet an artisan. I haven't been at it long enough to claim that last title yet, but I will probably get there if I keep it up.
    Old 04-06-2015, 11:10 AM

Originally Posted by kathy
    don't have an answer but just wanted to say "Hey Tim" glad to see you're still around.
    Kathy!!!! Good to see you around also. I still occasionally communicate with mutual friend and wonder what did happen to you. I know you survived a hurricane a number of years ago... I assume you are back up and running at full speed. Keep those gorgeous quilt coming and stay away from wool batting.
    I'll be around a bit more often. See ya.

tim
    Old 04-06-2015, 11:24 AM

Originally Posted by Future Quilter
    If you ask my wife, I am a artist. She doesn't quilt and loves all mine.
    If you ask me, I'd say craftsman.
    If you compare me to most on this board, I'm a craftsman's apprentice. LOL
    Dude... I think you need to change your moniker to "Present Quilter". I looked at your album, you are doing fine. It looks like your crazy quilts are done block at a time, maybe quilt as you go? I challenge you to make the next one full sized with no sashing... One kick butt single- full- or queen crazy quilt.

We are all apprentices to what we can be. If I were not, I would quit out of boredom.

tim in san jose

Last edited by k_jupiter; 04-06-2015 at 11:33 AM. Reason: speling
    Old 04-06-2015, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by Bubbie
    Tim, I'm so very sorry that you feel the quilt you're making for your DD "My latest project is a Sunshine and Shadow quilt using 2 inch blocks, strict plain fabrics, black backing and binding, all to produce for my daughter as close to an Amish style quilt as I can do." does not show what you feel is artistic. ARTISTIC is taking a quilt from a pattern (used for cutting and layout), finding your own fabrics (they might be combos simerly to the original picture, but they are not the same as the original). Because what you've done is artistic, you've made blocks of different colors work together. They have turned into what YOU wanted. Being a quilter is love (your love of fabric, your love of sewing, your love of giving of your heart, your love of making other happy), you are a "QUILTING ARTIST". Please don't ever think of yourself as ONLY, because none of us are ONLY anything we all have GREAT POSSIBILITIES in us waiting to come out.
    Ah Bubbie, Thanks for the great words. Never fear, as some people on this board will tell you, modesty is not one of my virtues. I know what I am, I know what quilting does for me. When I make those statements about the Sunshine and Shadow, I know what went into it. Of course, I made it. I strive for perfection because that is who I am craftsman style. That's where I get the joy out of working in any medium. I also don't get stressed out by the lack of perfection. It's piece of cloth for goodness sakes. I hope you follow here for awhile as I slowly present some stuff I do. You will see I quilt for love of craftsmanship and art. I quilt so when I pass on, someone will always look at what I made for them and have a piece of me in their thoughts and hearts. tim in san jose
    Old 04-06-2015, 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by AngeliaNR
    I've always believed that "art" is the gift you are born with, "skill" is what you learn, and "craft" is how you combine the two. I consider my quilting a craft.
    I like. tim in san jose
    Old 04-06-2015, 11:55 AM

Thanks everyone. I haven't answered near all of these, I only have an hour for lunch here in the old grind mill.

Lots of great comments. I like the new word I learned in relation to this conversation "artesian". That's a deep well to dig out of. Maybe it is a great word to describe ourselves as we progress through the life of being only a quilter. We progress to the stage where we are technically proficient, which liberates our minds to explore the artistic barriers of our own thoughts and feelings.

tim in san jose
    Old 04-06-2015, 02:35 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    I like the new word I learned in relation to this conversation "artesian". That's a deep well to dig out of. Maybe it is a great word to describe ourselves as we progress through the life of being only a quilter. We progress to the stage where we are technically proficient, which liberates our minds to explore the artistic barriers of our own thoughts and feelings.
    Just so we don't confuse those not used to puns, there's a big difference between the adjestive 'artesian' (a type of well) and the noun 'artisan' (a skilled craftsman).
    Old 04-06-2015, 05:00 PM

Originally Posted by k_jupiter
    Dude... I think you need to change your moniker to "Present Quilter". I looked at your album, you are doing fine. It looks like your crazy quilts are done block at a time, maybe quilt as you go? I challenge you to make the next one full sized with no sashing... One kick butt single- full- or queen crazy quilt.

We are all apprentices to what we can be. If I were not, I would quit out of boredom.

tim in san jose
    Thanks man. It wasn't quilt as you go. It was quilted jast as crazy as it was pieced, back then playing with the new long arm. I just like sashing thought it gave the eyes a rest between blocks. You think Crazy Quilts look better with all the blocks set together? I may give that a try.
    Our quilting has come a long way after this top was done. It's easy to come down hard on your older work but it shows how far you have came.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]516130[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]516129[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpg   image.jpg  
    Old 04-06-2015, 05:48 PM

My feeling is that a pattern is merely a suggestion. I start out using the basic pattern and then put my own ideas into it to make it what I want, so I guess I would be considered an art quilter.