Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you a FABRIC JUNKIE??? >
  • Are you a FABRIC JUNKIE???

• Are you a FABRIC JUNKIE???

Old 09-29-2011, 07:16 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmau
    Originally Posted by suzanprincess
    My name is Susan, and I am an addict. It started in Jr. High, when I first learned to sew. I was 10. It got worse over the years, but I overcame the habit in the Polyester Era, as I could not stay long in a fabric store because of the smell. And petting those poly double knits just didn't give me that quality-cotton high.

But now, thanks to the advent of Local Quilt Shops and even worse--The Internet, were there are those who will send my fix right to my home, and they take PayPal!--and my recent foray into quilting, and with all the enablers on this Board egging me on, I have backslid into full addiction once again. Oh, woe is me!

Wait! (she adds with a sigh of relief) I believe that at last I have redemption! I now qualify as Fabric Goddess instead of mere Junkie! And I have the yardage to prove it. :mrgreen:

BTW, for you 30's floursack repro-prints-aholics, Hancock's of Paducah currently has a sale on fat quarters--half price for $60 set of 30 = $29.99, aka $1/FQ. Other sets on sale too, but only that one full 50% off. http://www.hancocks-paducah.com/Item--i-WF-31835-FQ Just in case you're interested. No, no, I'm not pushing this, I have no free samples to offer you....
    well said-and I just spent more than I should have at fabric.com-was looking for just ONE fabric but couldn't resist-fabric junky or goddess-need to go pet my fabric now
    I am another one. When I feel bad I go to the fabric store and touch and look. I swore off here because I was getting way tooooooomuch positive reinforcement but here I am back. This is just as bad as the fabric as we all pass on good things like sales at Hancocks. Gotta go :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :mrgreen:
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:19 AM

Absolutely. I just finished organizing my stash and told my self..."NO MORE FABRIC!" However, I will be happy to look...at fabric stores, Goodwill, LQS, and online. ;-)
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:27 AM

After working in fabric stores, thinking that would feed my addiction; the touchy feely part of fabric, I discovered it is kind of like chewing up some great food, then spitting it out. You don't get he satisfaction if you don't swallow, and I don't get the satisfaction with fabric if I don't buy it. But that's just me!!
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:39 AM

Hello, my name is novie, and I am a fabric junkie...

Not trying to make fun of anyone, just being honest. I visited a fashion fabric store 'cause I need to make some clothes and had way too much fun over in the quilting section. It was a wonderful day.
    Old 09-29-2011, 07:51 AM

Guilty! I used to buy every quilt pattern I saw because I envisioned my quilt looking just like the picture!! Finally wised up ... it's not just the pattern ... it's the FABRIC!
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:03 AM

Yep! I love to buy a fabric designer's line. Such as Kate Spain's Terrain. Just so I can get my fabric fix, I now buy some of the FQs and make beautiful place mats, snax mats,etc. That seems to stem the urge to make all the fabric into quilts!! It's still not inexpensive but I get the satisfaction of thumb flipping the stacks of FQs, :-)
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Yes, yes I am but I didn't know the term for it.
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:05 AM

Originally Posted by chairjogger
    :oops: yes ! ha ha and don't really have room to be one!
    Ditto!! If I love it, it will come home with me!
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:17 AM

Yes! Sometimes looking gets the better or worse part of me and I buy. Like, yesterday, I looked at the black and white fabric I wanted for a black and white quilt. I found 2 on the sale rack at Joanne's. There was less than a yard of both. Bummer! Guess I wasn't supposed to buy it then, Maybe tomorrow or tomorrow or tomorrow. I did buy a yard of Insulbrite at $7.95 a yard, expensive but considering the number of pot holders, placemats, etc I can get from that yard, it is less expensive than going to the store and buying inferior products that fall apart on the first washing.

Sorry to vent, but that's my mood today.
    Old 09-29-2011, 08:22 AM

Yes! I love to shop, look at and feel fabrics. I have to temper myself and hold back sometimes until I have finished projects. Mostly, I only buy fabric when I have a specific project in mind to create unless it is an exceptional piece of fabric that I can't imagine living without!