Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you a fast or slow sewer? >
  • Are you a fast or slow sewer?

• Are you a fast or slow sewer?

Old 06-08-2010, 10:41 AM

Most of the time I am a slow quilter. I work and try to
    fit it in between work and my husband and grand baby. But, if I am making a present and put myself under pressure than I can get it finish pretty quick.
    Old 06-08-2010, 11:10 AM

I'm a slow sewer. When I finally get in the mood to sew, I spend several hours at a time sewing. Then I may not sew anything for 3-4 weeks. I keep promising myself I will not start another project until I finish what I'm working on, but...you know how that is!
    Old 06-08-2010, 11:25 AM

Getting started is my hardest problem. I listen to books on CD and once I get started I have to make myself quite or my body gets really mad at me. I use to be able to sew all night long when my kids were young. I would sleep while they were in school and sew all night. My ex traveled a lot. He was gone from Monday till Friday and if he went to see his girlfriend he might be gone for 2 weeks straight. He is an ex. LOL
    Old 06-08-2010, 11:26 AM

I am a really slow sewist and dang proud of it! (I almost wrote, "sewer" instead of sewist, but the county is in charge of sewers and sewage.) That's one of the reason I so enjoy doing quilts ... no pressure. I just finished a bed skirt and it is now on my bed. Disliked doing it ... every minute of it ... because it was a chore, I guess, and not playtime. But making quilts is playtime. I've worked hard my whole life, even as a child growing up on a farm, and now I feel I've earned my playtime.
    Old 06-08-2010, 11:29 AM

I get started on a project and I loose all track of time.
    Old 06-08-2010, 01:20 PM
    GP

I'm also very slow and I do have ADD. I have to rotate my projects. I have a cross stitch sampler going. A first time crazy quilt pillow going. A wall quilt with 120 little tile like squares to applique going and I crochet also in the evenings. I don't know if the projects are not stimulating enough and I have to keep moving to the next project. But I'll get them done. So I know how you feel. Some quilters really accomplish a lot.
    Old 06-08-2010, 03:01 PM

I'm a very fast sewer according to my friends. I like to have more than one project going at a time so I don't get bored. I do not have ADD, I just like a varity of things. Right now I have a Fun n Done started, a tube quilt to finish binding. A baby doll for Olivia to finish, tonight. Red work embroidery started, couple of outfits cut out for Olivia. You get the idea, I'm sure. I wish I could forget about food/cooking and spend that time in the Sewing Studio. Off to pick raspberries, yes we have a huge garden too.
    Old 06-08-2010, 03:18 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Pam
    I am slow, too. I think I have ADD. I cannot stick with anything, right now getting my new cabinets in the sewing room and getting it organized.
    I DO have adhd :thumbup: and proud of it, LOL!
    Might as well be, can't change it, right?
    I am slow, bc I jump around from thing to thing to thing, and when I crank up some music and get in the 'zone'...love that saying, thanks to Patti, (sandpat...first place I heard it :XD: ),...
    anyhow...see how I jumped the subject? :mrgreen:
    when I crank it up some, and get in the "zone"...I am still slower than many, bc I am going to do it right as I can, or I will never be happy with it, and then I may not finish...so, I try to GET happy with it, as I go.
    May take me longer but the satisfaction at the end is GOOOOD! ;)
    and I never had anyplace to teetotally enjoy that experience to the max until I found you all :thumbup: :D
    Happy camper here...um, mousie...happy mousie :XD:
    Old 06-08-2010, 04:13 PM
    Power Poster

It depends on the project and when it is needed for someone.
    Old 06-08-2010, 04:27 PM

Trying to figure it out. When I sew, I'm fairly fast, but what usually happens is I get in my room and almost immediately my mind starts to think. "What I could be making? What do I want to make? There's only a little left to finish that last little bit on that experiment. Let's see those fabrics there again. What looks good together? Oh, brother! Why did I put the thread there, it's in the way, It'll only take 5 minutes to reorganize that. I forgot to check that magazine again. What page was that on?? OK, since I'm here, might as well clean the machine. Oh, wait, isn't it time I change my blade? Where's the scraps? I'll cut a little off to see if it's really that dull...." Then the train of thought is off like a horse race and as you can see, I get next to nothing done....but boy, I sure thought alot!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: