Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you a fussy cutter?? >
  • Are you a fussy cutter??

• Are you a fussy cutter??

Old 07-09-2012, 11:49 AM

Depends on the fabric and the block I am making -- I do like the look of a good fussy cut. I actually leave the "swiss cheese" pieces together and find myself cutting blocks for a different quilt out of what is left and get a different look.
    Old 07-09-2012, 02:52 PM

My fabric is a tool like paint for a picture or wood for furniture. I do what is necessary for the look that I want.
    Some fabrics demand that they be fussy cut and the cut is the feature point of the quilt block. The left overs can be used some other way some other time. It's enough to do one quilt from the fabric at a time.
    Old 07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
    Power Poster

i have lots of pieces of fabric in my stash that looks like swiss cheese!
    i do fussy cut- but i also keep that fabric---and continue to cut usable peices from it until it is all gone-at some point i cut the bits left into 2" (or 1" squares) bricks 1"x3" what ever i can get out of it...i use alot of scraps & being an appliquer you never know when that little 1" piece will be the perfect piece for something- so i don't stress over fussy cutting- if that's what the fabric works for- then that's what i use it for.
    Old 07-09-2012, 03:38 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by QuiltnLady1
    Depends on the fabric and the block I am making -- I do like the look of a good fussy cut. I actually leave the "swiss cheese" pieces together and find myself cutting blocks for a different quilt out of what is left and get a different look.
    Same here.
    Old 07-09-2012, 03:48 PM

I think it depends on the fabric.. I've been in PSQ square swaps, and if I can, I try to fussy cut.. it is worth seeing it in the finished quilt.. The quilters that get my squares I hope will appreciate them.. There is waste.. I think that is why I try to get other quilters scraps.. I also have been hitting a thrift store nearby so I am not paying a bundle for fabric.. I guess I am VERY cheap..
    Old 07-09-2012, 04:15 PM
    Power Poster

I save my scraps but I don't fussy cut to have bigger scraps to save. I won't use all the regular scraps as it is.
    Old 07-09-2012, 04:39 PM

Absolutely. I fussy cut to get the look I want. I don't worry about wasting the fabric. I am going for the design.
    Old 07-09-2012, 07:35 PM

I've only fussy cut for one quilt and bought the material for it knowing I'd have Swiss cheese left. It was still hard to have such a large amount of "waste". I'll try to use it in something else.
    Old 07-10-2012, 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by JenniePenny
    Some of the quilts I have made depend on fussy cutting (like the one in my avatar photo). However, from whatever "waste," I cut the pieces into 3" squares, 2.5" squares, or 2" squares. The squares get re-used for a scrap quilt or given to someone else.
    That's me, too. I like to make Stack n Whacks & there's quite a bit of waste with those. But I just use those scraps in other projects.
    Old 07-10-2012, 06:53 AM

I don't mind fussy cutting when it is called for in a particular quilt. I do a lot of machine applique and it is amazing how often you need just a very small piece of a certain color so I save "everything"! I have also made mug rugs from the left over scraps. You can make really colorful flowers, etc from those slivers.