Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online? >
  • Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

• Are you loyal to your quilt shop or do you shop online?

Old 12-21-2011, 07:43 AM

This last year, I would say I bought 60% of my fabric online. Why? Only one local store (Blue Bamboo) carries Asian and I was in an Asian fabric buying spree. Normally, 80% of my purchases are locally. I visit my sister every few months and halfway to her house is the biggest quilt store in the state (Grubers), so I can always get what I can't otherwise find. I have it easier than some of you - I have 2 quilt stores in less than a mile.
    Old 12-21-2011, 07:49 AM

I'm pretty loyal to a quilt shop even though i have to drive 40 minutes to get to them, its the end of the year there not stocking alot of new fabrics till after the 1st of the year. they have a good selection but at times i do go elsewhere depending on what i'm looking for or doing, I love coustomer service, and when you go to a fabric store there customer service is not inviting makes a huge difference for me.
    Old 12-21-2011, 08:05 AM

I have never purchased online as I really prefer to see and feel the weight of the fabric I am purchasing. I have acquired my stash from a variety of sources; estate and yard sales, thrift stores, Joann's, and local quilt shops here in New Hampshire and in Indiana on clearance.
    Old 12-21-2011, 08:17 AM

It depends. There are several quilt stores locally, and while they all carry some of everything, they are known for different fabrics. One has the best selection of batiks, another the best selection of animal prints, etc. I have a difficult time judging color on the computer, so I typically buy the fabric for my quilt tops locally. But for backing, I search the internet for the best deal.
    Old 12-21-2011, 08:18 AM

I haven't bought fabric online. (Need to enter this century.) Loyalty to LQS? Depends on what you mean. We have several in my area and I buy some at them all but not excusiviley at one. Since prices are so high at LQS I also go to Joann's and Hancocks.

Loyalty to myself must come first. I purchase within my budget, which leaves out many fabrics at LQS. Also, the LQS carry certain lines and I like to look at the other stores before selecting. (Does this make sense?)
    Old 12-21-2011, 08:27 AM

I mix it up. I usually reserve online purchases for quilt backs (read - SALE), sale items or things I just can't get locally. I have 5 shops within 90 minutes of my house (2 within 30 mins). I have a lot of variety and I mostly like all 5 of the shops.
    Old 12-21-2011, 08:30 AM

I shop mostly at LQS (lucky to have 3 within 15 mi and 5-6 more in 30 mi)
    I once worked and taught at two LQS ... which both later closed ... so I really try to support local shops, and local businesses of ANY type.
    However I was annoyed to see one LQS recently had raised prices on ALL their fabrics, even the OLD lines that SHOULD be in the Bargain bin instead !
    I also buy online when I need something that I can't find locally. And I'm just NOT buying as much fabric anymore, trying to work from my stash !!

Last edited by TexasGurl; 12-21-2011 at 08:46 AM.
    Old 12-21-2011, 09:42 AM
    Zoe

Our local quilt shop does not have the range of fabrics, concentrating more on selling quilting and sewing machines. I find it more economical to shop on-line, with more and more on-line sites offering free shipping if you purchase a certain amount. I have never encountered any problems with the quality of the fabric. Indeed, there is a quilt shop in Atlanta that features Kaffe Fassett (sp?) fabric and can find fabric that was created a few years ago. My favorite quilt shop is located in LaPlata, Maryland called Material Girls. For those ladies and their inspirational shop and fabrics, I will drive over forty-five minutes.
    Old 12-21-2011, 09:52 AM
    Banned

My LQS does not carry fabric that appeals to me.
    Mostly I shop online
    The 2 shops I do buy from: Quilters Workshop in Newport, NH and Quilted Threads in Henniker, NH. Both are wonderful shops if you're ever in the area.
    Old 12-21-2011, 10:00 AM

I always buy online. I used to go to a quilt shop about 30 miles away, but she was always so rude that I decided to not support her anymore. There's something wrong with a business owner who doesn't realize that she will lose customers treating them this way. I never buy fabric at full price. I watch for big sales of at least 40%-50% off or clearance to buy fabrics. Most of the time I find shop by doing the online shop hop, then I'm on their mailing list. After becoming familiar with the shop, if their prices are not good, I remove my name from their mailing list. At this point, I order frequently from Stitch N Frame, Craft Town, and a couple others. I've gotten some great buys on closeouts and unfortunately, from shops going out of business.