Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you quilt worthy? >
  • Are you quilt worthy?

• Are you quilt worthy?

Old 09-22-2010, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by deema
    When I make something for someone (I've been making blankets for every baby I know since...gosh, since my oldest was still baking!), I make it to be used. I know every baby blanket I've made has been puked/pooped/peed/slobbered on, destroyed and repaired and *loved* right down to the last thread. I just recently started making anything bigger than a baby blanket, and will be gifting a large-ish quilt to my IL's. I know they will love it. And I know my mother in law will care for it gently and cherish it, because she is just that kind of person. But I don't expect my quilts to be preserved...I expect them to be loved. Even if it's by my IL's dog. I make and give things with love...all I hope for is that the recipient will love it too, even if it's "loved to death".

That said, I won't be making quilts for anyone outside of family and friends until they're paying for materials and time. This is an expensive and time consuming hobby.
    I made a flannel quilt for my new granddaughter. I told my daughter that she could just throw it on the floor and put the baby on it, then it could be washed whenever she wanted. They live half way across the country. She sends me pictures from her iphone daily with my granddaughter always sitting on that quilt. I makes me happy that the quilt is being used and I have pictures to prove it.
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:19 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by marymc
    First off let me say that my quilts are far from perfect. I put a lot of hard work and love into piecing them but many are tyed not quilted. I make them for people I love and I expect them to use them which sometimes means they are not treated gently. I made my first queen size quilt for my son oldest when he got married. He has since gone through some very rough times including a divorce. When I see that quilt in the back seat of his car I know it's not a matter of him not caring but that he loves that quilt and wants it with him if he may be away from his home over night. I smile every time. He is quilt worthy although others might not see it.
    Oh this story makes me cry.
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:29 AM

We should have asked my nephew's wife (now ex) this. They had some flooding, quilt (vintage) got some mildew on it so they threw it away without trying to get the mildew out. If nothing else, the affected area could have been replaced. I actually got sick to my stomach when he told me this.
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:41 AM

My DDIL told me yesterday that the whole family, my son & the 2 kids fight over the quilts I have made every time they sit down to watch TV. So now I know what I am making my son for Christmas; another quilt for in front of the TV. They are definitely quilt worthy. How good a feeling is that?! To know they are fighting over "me".
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:48 AM

I love to give my quilts away. When I quilt I usually pray. Sometimes I am told where the quilt should go.
    For example I was making a quilt for my DIL as a surprise as I was making it I had a real strong feeling that it should not go to her. The quilt was bright colors, I called it my happy quilt and since she was going through some hard times I thought it would cheer her up. But I kept getting the feeling that it was not right. So I went out and bought new fabric in her colors, (Black, white and red) When I showed her the bright quilt she said "Oh that is nice" but when I asked what she thought of the Black, white and red she gasped and said WOW.
    I knew the bright one was not right so made another in her colors. She loves it.
    Just some of my musings about my quilts.
    Old 09-22-2010, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by sandpat
    Ah, what a great term- "quilt worthy"...I learned the hard way about this. I made not 1...but 2 quilts for one of my friend's DD when she had her 2 kids. You would have thought that I would have learned after she NEVER thanked me for the 1st one....but no...I did it again. This girl barely looked up at me when we happened to stop by my friend's when she was over...why oh why does her mother think that that is ok????
    The mother may not appreciate the quilts but maybe the kids give the love.
    You gave them a loving gift and that is what counts.
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:35 AM

Originally Posted by fabric_fancy
    i guess i don't fit in - i make quilts for my pets every year.

i don't see anything wrong with my friends asking me to make a quilt for their pets.
    I believe you do fit in. I understand the original poster was not happy because the quilt was made for the owner of the animal, not the animal.

If you make a quilt for someone in mind, you hope that person is getting the use and loves the quilt. Just like when you make it for your pets.

Hope that makes sense.

Myself, I make quilts for fun, for therapy ;) ... and whatever happens to it ... happens ... now if they were to take it and sell it/give it away ... then I would probably not make them another one ...

Of course I might feel different once I make more quilts!!! I'm pretty much a beginner!
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:39 AM

Location: Currently Mosquito (which is outside of Placerville) California

I really think it is all very subjective....it depends on your intention when you make a quilt, what kind of quilt, etc....
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:43 AM

When I make a baby quilt for a friend or family member there's
    a poem that is part of the label.

A Baby Quilt
    Please let me cuddle with your new baby, it makes me feel loved,
    Don't hang me on the wall, I'm afraid of heights.
    Please, don't put me in the closet, I'm scared of the dark.
    I'm meant to be used,thrown up on, peed and pooped on and
    thrown in the washer and dryer. Don't be afraid to use me as I was intended.
    Thank you,
    your baby quilt.
    Old 09-22-2010, 08:50 AM

Are you quilt-worthy?

One requirement: Will you cherish the gift quilt as something that came from my heart and hands especially for you? (The last quilt I gave to someone is being loved and used by the siblings of the baby it was gifted for. It has become their "Magic Carpet" and is giving them joy, so all is good!)

I don't think any non-quilter can truly appreciate all the hours and $ that go into a handmade quilt, but they can appreciate the sentiment that comes with it. On the other hand, if they would appreciate a "store-bought" gift, then by all means, that's what they'll get!