Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter? >
  • Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter?

• Are you a social (classes) or a lone (homebody) quilter?

Old 05-22-2009, 11:14 PM

It's nice to know there are so many of you lone-quilters out there. In my area it's the rage to take classes. I don't prefer them. Thought, maybe, I was the only maverick quilter out there. You proved me wrong. Good to know.
    Old 05-23-2009, 03:24 AM

I took a beginner class, found it very helpful. However, could not afford anymore, and then they quit offering anything I wanted at my LQS.
    Old 05-23-2009, 06:14 AM

I've done just about everything but I love to sew with groups so do take classes, especially when I can do it with my daughter.
    Old 05-23-2009, 07:25 AM

I must not be a true quilter,though a loner type personality. I go to the shops to socialize, take classes and socialize some more. I even recently turned the third bedroom into a room full of fabric, patterns, cutting boards, rotary blades, books, sewing machines, TV and I have not turned on the sewing machine yet. I prefer to go to the shop and be among friends. Strange , I agree...
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:11 AM

Hi,I too was a lone quilter to begin with, I now have a group of friends who meet at my home every week.To explain -- when first I wanted to learn I thought I really couldn't justify spending the money for classes after the first experiance,e.g. too many in the class and too many friends of the tutor who got all the attention! However I now think that it set me on the right path to delve into books to teach myself. Through that first class I also learnt that once I knew what I was doing I could pass on that knowledge, with the patience to help those who were a bit confused at the start - as I had been.I still get confused myself by some of the new techniques but now there are so many wonderful quilters on the net willing to give advice,wish that had been available when I started. Almost twenty years later I still meet up with those first 'pupils' of mine who have become friends. I hope you find what is right for you,look for a starter class, one that gives you confidence to continue,most quilt shops have such classes now. Good luk and happy quilting, Letty.
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:12 AM

Hi,I too was a lone quilter to begin with, I now have a group of friends who meet at my home every week.To explain -- when first I wanted to learn I thought I really couldn't justify spending the money for classes after the first experiance,e.g. too many in the class and too many friends of the tutor who got all the attention! However I now think that it set me on the right path to delve into books to teach myself. Through that first class I also learnt that once I knew what I was doing I could pass on that knowledge, with the patience to help those who were a bit confused at the start - as I had been.I still get confused myself by some of the new techniques but now there are so many wonderful quilters on the net willing to give advice,wish that had been available when I started. Almost twenty years later I still meet up with those first 'pupils' of mine who have become friends. I hope you find what is right for you,look for a starter class, one that gives you confidence to continue,most quilt shops have such classes now. Good luck and happy quilting, Letty.
    Old 05-23-2009, 07:13 PM

LONER
    Old 05-23-2009, 10:00 PM

I guess I'm both I love to take classes with friends and quilt with friends but I also love that alone time when its just me in my sewingroom quilting.
    It is my way of destressing after a stressful day at the hospital.
    Old 05-24-2009, 04:17 PM

i just love to take classes. i've met so many wonderful friends in the classes which is so nice to do. we all talk and eat and sew and embroidery. i go every thursday. i would go more often but i have to work. sometimes we all go out to eat or we all bring a covered dish and eat in - always something going on and people to enjoy. love it.
    Old 05-25-2009, 07:26 AM

Loner here