Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Are you? >
  • Are you?

• Are you?

Old 09-27-2024, 02:15 AM

Default Are you?

Are you more of a stitcher or a quilter? To me a stitcher is someone who makes quilt tops and then neatly folds that top and puts it away for "someday". A quilter will both make the top and then completely finish it so that it is ready to be used. I was once a quilter when I had my Janome P1600 on a Grace frame but because of downsizing the frame was sold. Now I find I'm more of a stitcher, and not making as many finished quilts. I miss the old me!
    Old 09-27-2024, 02:49 AM

My Favorite part of quilting is free motion quilting, so I can't wait to get to the quilt sandwich stage of the quilt. I'm usually making baby quilts and gifting them right away. I also like quilt as you go style quilts, if the quilt size is large. I quilt a domestic sewing machine.
    Old 09-27-2024, 03:06 AM

I am definitely a quilter. I have always completed one quilt from yardage to final quilting, before starting another. I find each step pleasurable and love working and watching it develop from start to finish. I do my own quilting on a domestic machine.

I usually make queen size quilts. I make them slightly oversized so that they drape down over the mattress and box springs, plus have enough to tuck in the pillows.

Last edited by quiltingcotton; 09-27-2024 at 03:09 AM.
    Old 09-27-2024, 03:11 AM
    Power Poster

I too love the free motion quilting. I really enjoy all the parts not that I am an expert in any of them. I finish all my projects. I usually have two going. One for home and one to take to the group. I have minimal stash. I don't buy yardage but accumulate leftover pieces and rarely buy a precut for a project.i have a lot of scraps and scrappy patchwork is my favorite kind of quilt.
    Old 09-27-2024, 03:34 AM

When my husband was alive he did the machine piecing and I did the hand quilting. Now that it's just me I have to do everything, including finishing up a lot of blocks he started. On my own I have made a few tops and two complete quilts, finished a quilt top for someone else (hand quilted) and worked on a lot of blocks.
    Old 09-27-2024, 04:15 AM

Making blocks is my favorite part of the process. I love to sew and I love picking fabrics. Making the blocks into a quilt is OK. I delay the quilting as long as I can. I have an old Nolting Fun Quilter. But after I load the quilt and start the actual quilting, it's not so bad.
    Old 09-27-2024, 04:24 AM

Stitcher, definitely. Though I do sandwich and make my own quilts. My favorite part is the color and pattern selection. I then wait a while to sandwich and quilt. My quilting is usually an all over pattern. I wait until I have about 5 to quilt before I clear my table and quilt for a few days.
    Old 09-27-2024, 04:43 AM
    Power Poster

I do my own quilting by machine . I do big stitch by hand too.
    Old 09-27-2024, 04:49 AM

I'm not sure I'll ever finish another quilt since my back problems have become prohibitive. Piecing, however, is the perfect activity for me, as I can sit a little, stand a little. The piecing capacity, too, is way down, but I'll take what I can get. So the quilt tops and cut kits are piling up, but not as fast as they used to.
    Old 09-27-2024, 05:16 AM

Originally Posted by lindaschipper
    Are you more of a stitcher or a quilter? To me a stitcher is someone who makes quilt tops and then neatly folds that top and puts it away for "someday". A quilter will both make the top and then completely finish it so that it is ready to be used. I was once a quilter when I had my Janome P1600 on a Grace frame but because of downsizing the frame was sold. Now I find I'm more of a stitcher, and not making as many finished quilts. I miss the old me!
    I'm a quilter. I make the tops and then quilt them on my Juki.