Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • your experience with craig's list >
  • your experience with craig's list

• your experience with craig's list

Old 05-16-2014, 05:11 AM

DH & I have given up on Craig's list. We tried to sell some furniture recently and (literally) ALL of the responders we get were either scammers or people giving super lowball offers. It's very frustrating. We ended up donating all of it to charity instead.

I hope you have better luck, wherever you decide to list your machine!
    Old 05-16-2014, 05:18 AM
    Power Poster

DH and I sold a futon and table through CL and another local thrift paper. We were both at home and Thank the Lord. Our home is very small and 7 people showed up. They wanted to lower the price. DH said no and showed the door. That was group of 3 people. Shortly after another group showed up. One just got past me so fast he went straight for the bathroom but DH stopped him. Not a public bathroom and ushered his derriere to the door. I was ready to call the police. Rest of the group agreed they liked what they saw but tried to dicker down to a lower price. Once again DH said to head for the door. They settled and paid full price for futon and table. After that incident we just donate to the curb. I said never again was I going to let some one into my home like that.
    Old 05-16-2014, 05:20 AM

I sold an adult tricycle on CL in a matter of hours! My first time & was really pleased!
    Old 05-16-2014, 05:22 AM

I've bought a few things on CL. My sewing table and my son's bike I picked up at the seller's home. The featherweight I just purchased, we met a Cup of Joe. All have been easy transactions. I've not tried selling anything yet. For the "I just want to get it out of my house" we've been very successful with getting people to pick up things using freecycle.

Cheers, K
    Old 05-16-2014, 05:25 AM
    Banned

I've done a lot with Craigslist. A few things, IMO, though to do/keep in mind.

I wouldn't respond by email unless you have a great spamming filter.
    When I sell, I say in the ad that I will not respond by email.
    If you start the emailing games, many times you're wasting time & open to spam.
    Request the party text or call you.
    If you want to be more private - even with your phone number, get a Google voice # for doing CL.
    Of course, don't fall for any offers to send you money and you ship it.
    Cash cash cash
    First come, first serve - holding stuff usually doesn't work.
    Notsomuch for a longarm, but keep in mind the prices you see listed on CL for competing products are items that have *not* sold. At least here, good deals fly off of CL.
    It's no different than the old classifieds in newspapers. 99.99% of people are good - no reasons to be paranoid... just be common-sense safe.

I have an iPad up on CL here right now - and I've had zero interest. But, it's an expensive one - and someone shopping CL tends to be someone that is trying to get something at a deal, of course.

I'd also list it in sewitsforsale (a Yahoo group) .

HTH
    Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 AM

I bought something from a woman who said her first buyer kept delaying the appointment until late evening. Even though she told the buyer to come the next day, they showed up around 9 pm. The sellers husband had gone to work so she called the neighbor across the street who was a police officer. He came over and there were 5 men and one was walking from behind the house. The officer said they had come to rob her and the guy in the backyard was casing the place. Be very careful if buyers have to come to your home.
    Old 05-16-2014, 07:16 AM

I've had probably 100 people to my house to buy things via CL. I ALWAYS keep my item in the garage and keep the garage door open. My husband is in the house if I need anything. I've had lots of flakes-people that make an appt. to show up and don't, and one nasty experience with a person who bought something and then demanded to return it after getting it home. The problem with selling electrical items is that you need to show that it works to get your asking price. So, that's why I sell sewing machines from my garage. I'd never sell them or get my asking price if I met them somewhere. I occasionally get folks who want to dicker, but if I"m firm in price, I put that on my CL ad and that's that.

I will continue to sell on CL and have met some very nice people and have even made a friend...
    Old 05-16-2014, 07:33 AM
    CRO

I sold our pickup camper on CL. It went within hours. I agree with cash only and someone else home.
    Old 05-16-2014, 07:53 AM

I have to agree with another post, you should try the Yahoo group "SewItsForSale" - I've seen several longarms sell surprisingly fast on that group. I would keep the longarm set up at first, in case the buyer wants to "see it run".

And I have to agree with some of the other comments, don't EVER "meet"someone alone.

Trust your instincts, if something seems fishy or a little weird, don't deal with that person.
    With that said, I've had some success with purchases from Craigslist - I've never sold anything there though.

However, I HAVE sold several batches of fabrics on SewItsForSale - no problems with the buyers, and no hassle with getting my asking price.
    Old 05-17-2014, 03:52 AM
    Power Poster

I am constantly selling vintage sewing machine on CL - so far all good experiences.