Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your opinion of on-line shopping >
  • Your opinion of on-line shopping

• Your opinion of on-line shopping

Old 12-25-2013, 04:17 AM

Default Huge Nightmare

In an effort to save money I ordered a Janome machine on line two years ago. It turned out to be the biggest nightmare. I used it for about 4 weeks and took it to the basic quilting class I was taking at the time. So frustrating - it simply did not operate properly. My instructor even tried sewing with it and was puzzled as to the problem.
    After many frustrating hours and even a few tears I finally ate some humble pie and called the local Janome dealer. Turns out my machine was a "knockoff". I shipped it back and even though it was past the 30 day grace period got a full refund. Needless to say I bought a Janome from the local dealer and absolutely love it.
    I would never advise buying a machine on line. Buying from your local dealer is well worth every penny you pay.
    Old 12-25-2013, 04:27 AM

I have purchased a number of sewing machines on line and only had one bad experience. Also order fabrics, notions, books, etc. from various places and have never had any trouble with that.
    Old 12-25-2013, 06:13 AM

I had an excellent experience with AllBrands.com. They have various brands online, some real good deals and they stand behind them 110%! I was and still am extremely pleased with what I'd ordered. Do your research as to what features you want & other peoples experiences. (Always read all the comments!)
    Old 12-25-2013, 06:21 AM

I've purchased 2 Janome machines on-line, one through Amazon and another from a dealer on the west coast (SewingMachinesPlus). My daughter bought a very nice little Brother through Amazon. All these machines are excellent and had considerably smaller price tags than if the same machines were bought from my local dealer; he services my machines, regardless of where I buy them. Most important is to buy from an authorized dealer; if not, the warranty is void. I buy a lot of things on line where I can thoroughly research specifications, etc. UPS delivery is kind of a crap shoot; there's one delivery man that has brought some things here who is a, to put it politely, 'disappointing', but I've not yet gotten a product that's been a disappointment.

Last edited by weezie; 12-25-2013 at 06:25 AM.
    Old 12-25-2013, 06:32 AM

Kens Sewing Machines is fabulous. I bought my Janome at a show from them. Later I bought a small one on line. When my local dealer could not repair it, I mailed it to them. Great communication.
    Old 12-25-2013, 06:43 AM

My Mom and I each got a Brother PQ-1500s from AllBrands. Then my husband bought the HandiQuilter from Sewing Machine Plus. Great service with both of the dealers. I love my dealer, but he only sells Janome and Brother. I really wanted a Pfaff, so I'm testing out a new dealer. So far, so good, but they are fairly new.
    Old 12-25-2013, 07:24 AM

Location: Ohio, the land of 4 seasons. sometimes all in the same week!

I purchased a Euro Pro denim and silk some years ago from QVC online and have not had a single problem. There is a sears repair store about 15 minutes away that my sister has taken her machines too with good results. I clean my own and "knock on wood" have not needed the repair shop as yet. QVC has great return policies too. I am going with one of my daughters to find a machine next year. for now she will take one of my gently used to get comfortable on. yea! one of my girls wants to sew!! she lives 6 hrs away but that's where my grandkids live so I will be there occasionally. haha
    Old 12-25-2013, 07:45 AM

SewingMachinesPlus is a fantastic place to order from. Never had any problems.
    Old 12-25-2013, 10:01 AM

My only response to your question would be to read everything here, then only buy online things that you will not need any help learning to use. Online retailers do not usually offer lessons with your purchase, and in person stores do. I am a slow learner, so that affects everything I consider buying online. Good luck dear.
    Old 12-25-2013, 11:49 AM
    Power Poster

3 yrs ago, I ordered on line, a first for me a singer, got here in 2 days, no problems at all, I kinda wore it down with sewing about 5 hrs everyday though. you know plastic parts and all