Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your opinion of on-line shopping >
  • Your opinion of on-line shopping

• Your opinion of on-line shopping

Old 12-25-2013, 02:35 PM

I ordered online at 3p.m. and my machine arrived the next day by 11 a.m. It was a couple of hundred dollars less expensive than local dealerships. Absolutely no problems. It was from either Kens, Allbrands - someone in Lousiana.
    Now for a story on local dealerships...so I take my serger in for repair. The local says, "Oh yes, that is worth repairing." $300 later, it worked for only a very, very, brief time. I think he rigged a part to make-do. So, then it doesn't work, and I'm not going to pay for another repair. I open the sucker up myself, figure out what part I....I... want to replace. Go back...."Oh that part is not available anymore." I think that is what the deal was when HE repaired it. Anyone want to pay $300 for a broken serger in the garage?
    I will order online again.
    Good luck which ever way you go.
    Old 12-25-2013, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by Up North
    I got my Brother sewing Embroidery machine for Amazon through Kens sewing and Vac they have been very helpful and no problems that they didn't fix that was almost 4 years ago
    Same with my brother 9000 and first came and didn't work. Called Ken's and a few days later I had a new one. Eventually I got a return label and sent the one that didn't work back and one I have now is great. Help was very helpful and machine was on sale for $139 with shpping. I wanted more stitches than other machines have. This has 80.
    Not many dealers around here and I can't afford their high prices when I have more machines than I need anyway.
    Old 12-25-2013, 03:21 PM

I have several vintage Singers, an old Viking but needed one that had decorative stitches so I ordered from Allbrands, It came in a few days, It was a great deal and I love it... No problems.
    Old 12-25-2013, 03:47 PM

Originally Posted by feline fanatic
    For fabric, notions, thread, batting, etc, I love shopping on line but I know what brands I like and I usually end up going to the same vendors. Bobbin Central for thread, Hancocks of Paducah, thousands of bolts, Fabric depot for fabric. Notions I shop around sometimes to consolodate to save on shipping, sometimes I am looking for very specific items that only a few vendors carry. So far all of my online shopping experiences have been good and I have no nightmare tales to tell.

But for a sewing machine, nope, I want to test drive like a car. I want a dealer nearby I can go to for servicing and trouble shooting etc. I wouldn't by a car on line, nor would I buy a sewing machine nor any other high ticket item. I want the support of a brick and morter shop should anything go wrong.
    I agree with all of this!
    Old 12-25-2013, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by SmickChick
    I ordered online at 3p.m. and my machine arrived the next day by 11 a.m. It was a couple of hundred dollars less expensive than local dealerships. Absolutely no problems. It was from either Kens, Allbrands - someone in Lousiana.
    Now for a story on local dealerships...so I take my serger in for repair. The local says, "Oh yes, that is worth repairing." $300 later, it worked for only a very, very, brief time. I think he rigged a part to make-do. So, then it doesn't work, and I'm not going to pay for another repair. I open the sucker up myself, figure out what part I....I... want to replace. Go back...."Oh that part is not available anymore." I think that is what the deal was when HE repaired it. Anyone want to pay $300 for a broken serger in the garage?
    I will order online again.
    Good luck which ever way you go.
    Did you check directly with the maker of your serger for the availability of the part?

Old 12-26-2013, 04:42 AM

I purchased both my Janome's from Alko Sewing Center in Ohio. I saved hundreds of dollars. They shipped fast and machines arrived in perfect shape. I figure if they ever need fixing or repaired, I can afford to do that. So far after 4 years, they are both running great. I'd do it again.
    Old 12-26-2013, 07:15 AM

I have never had a bad experience shopping online. I've purchased everything from notions and fabric to a new machine. I always stay with sites that have good reputations. I have purchased a very expensive machine locally and gotten terrible follow up service, had to find another dealer to service the machine. The machine I purchased online I did test drive locally, but saved about $100 buying it online. I live in a rural area, so locally is about 60 to 70 miles away. Any dealer who sells the same brand will be happy to service your online purchase. They get paid by the manufacture for warranty work and by you, of course if not. Happy shopping!
    Old 12-26-2013, 07:37 AM

I bought my Juki 2010Q from http://www.raichert.com and was extremely happy. I would buy from them again.
    Old 12-26-2013, 09:04 AM

If I were looking for a new machine, it would be local. You have a better way to take lessons and have any work done. You don't have to pay postage to send it back for repairs and then wonder if it will be done correctly.
    Old 12-26-2013, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by Up North
    I got my Brother sewing Embroidery machine for Amazon through Kens sewing and Vac they have been very helpful and no problems that they didn't fix that was almost 4 years ago
    Awesome, I was wondering if they were any good. Thanks for that info too!