Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your Sewing Machine? >
  • Your Sewing Machine?

• Your Sewing Machine?

Old 02-16-2011, 10:25 AM

I have an Elna [I love her!] Quilting Queen {whatever number}, she was 40% off and it's still a low end price compared to many others. My husband built me an awesome sewing table that she fits down into, and she's not going anywhere! I bought a Brother @ Walmart about $139 I think and it's going to do whatever I need it to do at classes. I even took a FMQ class with it and it was fine. My Elna is wonderful, but computerized machines can really be affected by lots of things, so "My Brother and Me" will be hitting the class circuit and Elna stays home!
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:31 AM

I have an amusing story as to how I'm sewing everyday on a Brother Pacesetter 1250. I had lost 3 great machines to a burglary - a Pfaff 1475CD with all the extras (I never got to even use it, it needed servicing since it was froze up), a Singer Ingenuity that I used regularly, and a Simplicity serger. I guess my angel was watching out for me and directed me to a yard sale with a sewing machine sitting in the middle of all the offerings. I saw the case and thought, "I could use a good sewing machine case for when I get another sewing machine", but when I opened it there was a sewing machine inside. It was the Brother...hmmm, never been a big fan, I'd always used Singers. But, what the hey..I asked "How much?" I was shocked when she said $10! Well, this deserves another look. It looked almost new! Upon further examination, it was missing the foot pedal/power cord and the cover for the bobbin compartment. I had no idea how much the cord would cost, but knew they could be expensive, and no way to really check this thing out. So, being me, I asked "Would you take $5?" I mean what did I have to lose? lol And she said YES! The reason I say this was my angel was that I was going through a divorce and money was tight. When I called my local repair shop, he told me that he should have another power cord in a bin for cheap, probably around $10. I went in with the machine and he disappeared into the back with it. When he came back out, machine and cord in hand, he said "I have a power cord, but I can't charge you for it. It's been spliced, and perfectly safe, but I don't feel right charging you for it." I wound up spending $6 for a bobbin cover/plate and another $4 for some bobbins. So for $11 plus the cost of bobbins, I had a new machine. And it works great! I'll never say anything bad about a Brother sewing machine again (come on you Singer fans, you know you have, lol) Thank you angels, for this one and the subsequent 12 other machines I've collected since then (most in varying states of repair) I've learned how to set the time from this machine (which I've thrown out a couple of times, my fault) and hope to learn how to completely fix all of my machines. It's amazing what necessity will teach you! Love your machine, whatever its' brand might be...

My Brother Pacesetter 1250
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]145353[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-145348.jpe  
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:36 AM

I have two machines that I use - my mom's Singer 301A from the 50s and my Singer that my Mom and Dad gave me for graduating high school in 1969. I love them both. I have considered getting a new fancy one, but I haven't. I would rather spend the money for fabric!
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:39 AM

There's nothing wrong with your Brother. Yes, the fancy, computerized machines are nice, but most of my students don't bother to bring those to classes. They mostly opt to bring their lightweight and/or back-up machines. Honestly, I've been thinking about taking my older machines to classes just because my computerized ones are SO heavy.
    You need not be embarrassed about your Brother. I've seen a lot of really nice things made on less expensive machines. If you can make it work, great!
    I've also heard that you only actually use 20% of your machine's functions, so why spend more money on more features you won't use?
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:43 AM

If you check around this board, you will find some wonderful quilts being made on cheap little Brother machines. Some folks are quilting Queen and King size quilts on those little guys.

Mine is a Brother XL2600 and my only complaint with it is throat space. It pieces anything I could ever want it too. Save your money for fabric if you are happy with your machine.
    Old 02-16-2011, 10:57 AM

Today I am using the same Kenmore that my mom gave me as a graduation present from college in 1980, and it has outlasted 3 marriages, 5 kids, several weddings, many draperies, quilts and even slipcovers! I clean and oil it in between projects, have it serviced once in a while, and dread the day when I will have to replace it. I wish my car was this reliable!
    Old 02-16-2011, 11:13 AM
    Power Poster

i'm all the time telling people you do not need an expensive computerized machine to create beautiful quilts! and the brother machines are good, inexpensive machines...nothing wrong with that...and (all those people) in the class with the fancy machines...did you ask any of them how much they actually (use) the extra features? i have an expensive viking; came with the embroidery unit...lots of special capabilities...i don't think any of us have embroidered anything with it in at least a year...and an occassional decorative stitch may be used...but basically...98% of the time all it does is a basic straight or zigzag stitch...big time overkill! don't be ashamed of owning an inexpensive basic machine...as long as it does what you need it to do that is all that matters :thumbup: after all--look how many people are quilting with feather-weights---can't get much more basic than that and certainly no computers...they didn't even have that word when they were made...and they work well. my granddaughter has a brother machine that is as old as her...and works just fine...and she is very proud of it!...and at the sewing school we had students who would fight over getting to use their (favorite) brother machines...they never wanted to 'deal' with my machine
    Old 02-16-2011, 11:22 AM

Don't be embarrassed about your machine. It serves your purpose and you are happy with it, that's what matters :) You got a machine at a great price leaving more money for fabric. :)
    Old 02-16-2011, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Central Ohio Quilter
    I have two machines that I use - my mom's Singer 301A from the 50s and my Singer that my Mom and Dad gave me for graduating high school in 1969. I love them both. I have considered getting a new fancy one, but I haven't. I would rather spend the money for fabric!
    Ditto, I have a 301a. At first the smirks start, then when they realize my straight stitches blows the doors off their fancy machines...I just grin. I'm quite proud of "Old Martha".
    I do have a very nice Viking, but the 301 is awesome!
    Old 02-16-2011, 12:52 PM

I have a Brother that replaced my older Brother, that replaced my original Brother. The first one cost me $79 on sale at WalMart 10 years ago. The second one I bought for $139 on eBay when my daughter took the first one to college. The 3rd one I bought for $189 at WalMart on sale last year so that my DH could have my 2nd one. His little old $80 Brother kept losing tension after 2-1/2 years of nearly constant sewing. I like my new Brother...it was inexpensive and it only weighs about 12 pounds. It has a bunch of special stitches, and can do block letters too, and came with an extension table. I love these little Brother's to do piecing on.