Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your suggestions for backing this R&W sampler? >
  • Your suggestions for backing this R&W sampler?

• Your suggestions for backing this R&W sampler?

Old 07-23-2012, 04:20 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by mme3924
    Oh, I hadn't thought of squaring the quilt with the stripe. Thanks for that reminder! So, although I don't think it's out of square a lot, I think that eliminates the stripe. I might use it for binding, though.
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that it was not square ... what I was meaning was that it'd be really difficult to get the sandwich made with the quilt top lined up straight with the backing (with the batting in between). Not impossible ... just tricky!

DogHouseMom ... Thanks! I like the looks of a flange that splits up the same fabric.
    Old 07-23-2012, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
    Sorry, I wasn't suggesting that it was not square ... what I was meaning was that it'd be really difficult to get the sandwich made with the quilt top lined up straight with the backing (with the batting in between). Not impossible ... just tricky!

DogHouseMom ... Thanks! I like the looks of a flange that splits up the same fabric.

Yes, I understood what you meant. And I agree. The more I think of the stripe the less inclined toward it I am.

I'm not sure what you mean by "flange"? Can you explain? And about how it splits up the same fabric? I'm not sure I get that.
    Old 07-23-2012, 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by DogHouseMom
    I like QuiltE's idea of a narrow white flange (1/4"?) then more red border. I think that would be dynamite.

Also agree with most other posts ... if the quilting is going to be special (ie not an all over or just SITD) then use the solid red with white thread to show off the quilting on the back. If your just going to SITD or use an all over quilting - then I would opt for the floral print.
    Oh, okay, I get the idea of flange now and I like the idea. If I used the red stripe, as someone suggested, for another border, I'd need something between it and the solid red because the reds are not exact. The solid is a little more cherry and the stripe is a purer red. A white flange would probably break it up enough though, don't you think?
    Old 07-23-2012, 06:20 PM
    Power Poster

Here's how I do a flange ... cut a strip 1" wide and fold in half to make 1/2".
    Baste it to the main part of the quilt with the raw edge against the raw edge of the quilt and fold facing to the centre.
    Add the next layer of border the same as you usually would.

So in essence, the flange does not add any width/length to the quilt ... and you end up with a 1/4" piece of fabric sticking out from that seam.

For your quilt, I'd add your flange to your border that;s there now, and then the next red border would be probably 1-1/2 to 2 times as wide as the one that's there.

Here's a quilt of mine with a burgundy flange inserted ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...i-t141548.html

And another with a butter yellow insert ...
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/picture...h-t189484.html
    Old 07-28-2012, 05:43 AM

I just sent my red and white quilt off to the LAQer. I chose a plain white for my backing. I try not to use busy floral prints for my backings. I think the quilting shows up better, then if I want to reverse it on the bed, I get a whole clothe look.