Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Main
  • Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG) >
  • Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG)

• Your thoughts on being overcharged at an lqs (Warning: LONG)

Old 08-06-2009, 04:56 PM

I read it as "local quilt store" but there could always be another explanation.
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:05 PM

Hi Ethel....

You didn't say whether he made an adjustment later or not, but I assume he didn't.
    I would take the receipt and be extremely polite and ask to see the owner...who probably wouldn't know anything about this. Just present him with your receipt and tell him what you purchased and that you think that his employee accidently made an error in calculating your fabric.
    Being nice and polite gives you that extra upper hand and you might possibly get a credit for the overcharge...doesn't cost anything to try and you just might be a happy shopper on leaving that LQS.

Good luck.....
    MJ in NJ
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:22 PM

I have been overcharged in my LQS and i realized it when I got to the car. I took the receipt back in with the fabric and we went through it and she fixed the problem. I have also been undercharged and I did the same thing. It was a $20 mistake in my favor. The owner was so glad I was honest. It is bad Karma not to tell people when they have made a mistake especially when you are cheating someone.

Since has happened a couple of times, I try to add in my head approximately what the bill is going to be. If it is not close I just say "that does not sound right (either too much or not enough)". They make mistakes but most of them are very gracious about it.

If the gentleman does not own the store, I would let the owner know what happened because they could be losing business and that is tough in this economy. If he owns the store, I probably would shop else where if I had other options.
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:37 PM

Location: Orchard Park, NY (near Buffalo, which is near Niagara Falls)

Originally Posted by Cecelia
    I believe I read all the responses, so now you get mine.
    The young man resented being told he was wrong, and probably expected he was wrong, before being told. (someowne else with a bad taste)
    This is what I would have done, and have done when mistakes are made by a younger person.(Try to find a way to help if the problem comes up again, politely.) Thank you for making all the cuts, so now lets see if we can find a way to make all these different sizes of cuts, and prices come together. And believe me I know fractions are difficult (He's thinking that "old woman"!!)
    Take a piece of paper and start with one fabric. Sort any that are the same price to work side by side. Do each fabric, until all are written down.
    When the operation if finished, tell him Quilters have to figure fractions all the time so after awhile the nasty process becomes second nature. And try to figure out a chart for him for
    all fractions he's going to have to figure with fabric. And the chart will help all the clerks, and he can be the HERO. Keep on Quilting---CECELIA
    What a nice, positive suggestion on how to handle a difficult situation! The world needs more people who think like you do.
    Old 08-06-2009, 05:39 PM

I used to work and manage a quilt shop and my advice is to go straight to the owner immediately. It does not matter if the person who waited on you is a relative or an employee outside the family. He could have made a mistake and was embarrased or afraid of what his parent (the owner) would say, but he could also have been doing it and pocketing the extra money. It really does not matter which is the case, the owner needs to know---if it keeps up they will lose good customers like you and believe me, quilters are the most wonderful, generous and caring people in the world, but cross one of us and word spreads like wildfire. Anyone who owns a quilt shop should know this and want to make sure that their customers are happy and well taken care of. Talk to the owner, gently but firmly, stating the facts and how upset you were. I guarantee that they have no idea at all and will take care of you as they should. If they don't, that would be the last place I would go to again.
    Old 08-07-2009, 01:25 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
    It sounds to me as he has trouble dealing in fractions and got very defensive when it was pointed out to him. I think I would just take my receipt back in and ask to speak to the owner or manager. Explain it very calmly as you did here and tell the owner/manager that at first you were just going to 'eat' the $6 but the more you think about it, you feel it does need to be brought to the attention of someone. I think you will feel better after you do that, even if an adjustment isn't made. I hope this is not a repeat of other posts...I have only read your initial posting and I don't have the time right now to read the others...I need to be on my way to an appt.
    I agree with Pam here. IMHO, I think the fellow made a mistake in calculating the yardage and was defensive because he was embarrassed or because he did not want to admit he had made a mistake. I fail to understand why anyone would charge more for the amount of fabric that is purchased. Whether you bought a yard, a half yard, or one sixth of a yard, that amount still had to be cut.

The owner should be told about this problem -- especially since the worker is his son. It seems the owner would want to know that his employees are curteous and accurate.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:17 AM

I have had a similar run in with my lqs.. it was over less than that.. but it is the principle of the thing. We try to support our stores, but the "owner" berated me in front of other customers... I won't go back... I can be stubborn too. Quilter 1234
    Old 08-07-2009, 08:18 AM

was this guy the manager or just an employee? if it was an employee i would definately file a complaint with his rude and arrogant behavior. I would also write a letter to management in a nice humble way and tell them how hurt you were by his behavior. If he was the manager i would still write a letter. He was problably pissed because he had to cut all that fabric. In some ways there is something to be said for hte chains. They would not tolerate behavior like that.
    Old 08-08-2009, 09:21 AM

nobody likes to be overcharged! I never ask for anything smaller than 1/4, and most shops have this policy. I can always use the extra fabric on another project.
    Old 08-08-2009, 09:34 AM

I had a similar issue, only it was the shop owner that< I guess, is continuin to rip off the customer.

This lady has a shop outside of city limits, but she collects city sales tax.
    When I confronted her, becuase she owed my $14.00 in tax back, she said she pays the city sales tax to the State comptroller every month for both the State and the City. State is 6.25 and City is 2.00 Cents per dollar.
    She was charging 8.25 cents on every dollar of sales.

I called the State comptroller, only to find out that she is only paying the State tax.

I have not reported back to the State on her. I stopped going to her shop and tell all of my quilting friends what she is doing.
    Di in Texas