Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • ~ Fun and Funky  Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed >
  • ~ Fun and Funky Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed

• ~ Fun and Funky Winter Holidays Block Swap ... Sign up Closed

Old 09-26-2011, 10:49 PM

Just wondering how many of you like receiving the 3in blocks when you spent your effort making large blocks. I definitely prefer the larger blocks. I only make the 9in or 12in sizes. If I need fillers I prefer the windmill or a 4 patch or a small embroidery blocke. Seldom need 3in.
    This would be a good time to express your opinion. It takes more time and effort plus fabrics to do the larger blocks besides they are so much prettier and more effective spread out. Maybe the 3in size can be dropped in the future unless everyone except me prefers them. BarbM
    Old 09-27-2011, 06:06 AM

I use the smaller blocks to add in for when I have a 9" block and want to make it up to a 12" block when I am putting them together. I think the 3" issue has been addressed on page one because we are to send only one set. I have made 3" fabric squares to send because I like getting a few of them to fill in the gap. Some of my embroidery designs are smaller and fit well on the 3" block. It is how we use them. I think they have a spot in our block swap quilts.
    Old 09-27-2011, 07:53 AM
    Power Poster

Hi Barb,
    I understand your point of view exactly. But, the fun and funky swappers enjoy using the smaller blocks to fill in the spots left by the other blocks that aren't 12 1/2 inch size. It kind of is like a tiny surprise in the quilt and fun.

Your idea sounds like it will be a great quilt for your family members. I hope you share them with us when you are finished.
    Old 09-27-2011, 08:02 AM
    Power Poster

i agree with QuilterMomma, i like them i make alot of my own just as fillers
    Old 09-27-2011, 08:10 AM

Hi everyone! I've been watching this thread for a while and just decided to take the plunge and join in! I see a lot of you with whom I've swapped blocks with before! I'm starting today to whip out some cute blocks!
    Old 09-27-2011, 08:12 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome to the swap ronda! I hope you share your blocks with us as you get them made. It is so fun to see them.
    Old 09-27-2011, 08:15 AM

Yes this 3"block issue was addressed earlier but I would like to see how many of you lovely ladies do not really want them. Frankly I prefer to make my own fillers so they can all co-ordinate with my basic fabrics. Meanwhile I really like the 6" and 9" blocks making them larger to suit me and to work in with whatever 12" blocks I receive. It makes it so interesting.
    One time I centered a 3" block and made it into a crazy quilt block. This was so neat and so different. Also used one as center of a nine patch block. Lots of ways to use them but I don't particularly care for them. Also I made an entire quilt of 9" blocks and then cut a 3x9" strip to fit on 2 sides, embroidered the design and then sewed the strips on the 9' block. The other 2 sides I used a plain 3" strip. Made a good looking quilt. You know the old saying about different strokes for different folks.
    Another thing I would like to mention is this Quilt Forum is my very favorite place. I want to thank each of you. I would appreciate your prayers tomorrow while I have surgery. My quilt retreat is next M-T-W and I intend to be there.
    Old 09-27-2011, 10:05 AM
    Power Poster

((BarbM32))
    Old 09-27-2011, 10:14 AM

I'm new to all of the quilting & assembling. I did enjoy the 3 inch blocks to help with the 9 1/2 inch blocks. It is easier to have all the same size blocks, but with the funky swaps I think it's very interesting to put those creative juices to work & find unique combinations.

Barb good luck with your surgery. Hope all goes well.
    Old 09-27-2011, 11:15 AM

Good luck on the surgery Barb. Make sure you don't carry to many heavy things so soon after surgery no matter what kind it is. I am sure the others would love to get things out of the car for you and move fun stuff around. You take care.