Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2014 Birthday Swap 2.5  sign up now  !!!! >
  • 2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

• 2014 Birthday Swap 2.5 sign up now !!!!

Old 08-03-2014, 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Wow. August brings us halfway through our swap year. Already!
    Wow that was fast!
    Old 08-03-2014, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by KathyM
    Since my birthday is tomorrow, I thought I'd tell you a little about me today. This week I had vein work on my legs done, so I've been in bed all week. I did do some crocheting in bed. I'm also starting to make 5 flowergirl dresses for my son's wedding the end of September.
    1.) Board name/real first name: KathyM - Kathy
    2.) How long have you been quilting - bought my first sewing machine at the age of 13 from babysitting money from that summer, now I'll be 59
    3.) Favorite quilting tool: they have come up with sooo many new gadgets, rotary cutter & mat
    4.) Favorite quilt you have made & why: I have made several Grandmother's Garden with the hexies, I do enjoy hand sewing, I usually don't like making a pattern twice.
    5.) Favorite color: I seem to go for the darker colors, if you look at my stash you don't find many lights.
    6.) Favorite flower: anything that blooms
    7.) Best advice you can give: enjoy your project or you won't like it when it's done
    Kathy thanks for the introduction!

I would love to see a picture of the grandmother's garden quilt. I started making one over 5 years ago and need the inspiration to return to that project! Also need to see how you finished off the edge and how you quilted it.

Barb
    Old 08-03-2014, 07:06 PM

Havplenty....I love the foundation quilt. I am confused what you are doing. I have never seen that kind of quilting and it looks very interesting. Please I think you need to spell it out for me. ????
    Old 08-03-2014, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by KathyM
    I had a great time opening my 'Candies' today, looking at all the different fabrics. It's surprising how many are ones I've used in projects.
    Happy Birthday Kathy...hope your day is great!
    Old 08-04-2014, 05:07 AM

Happy Birthday, KathyM. I'm late with your candy, I'm sorry. It will go out today.
    Old 08-04-2014, 06:22 AM

This is the first of three quilt tops using 2.5 inch squares. I call it twenty five and nine. I used 1,079 2.5 inch squares. The nine patch is framed with 2.5 inch strips. Very easy. It is seven blocks by nine blocks and measures 70 X 90 inches. No pattern. The grey texture is from my stash so I am not sure how much I used.
    Attached Thumbnails dscf2060.jpg  

Last edited by Karen G; 08-04-2014 at 06:27 AM.
    Old 08-04-2014, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by barbarakibler23
    Havplenty....I love the foundation quilt. I am confused what you are doing. I have never seen that kind of quilting and it looks very interesting. Please I think you need to spell it out for me. ????
    Sorry to be so confusing. I didn't want to use a foundation so I taped out a 8.5" inch square on my cutting board to use to measure out the next length strip to sew for my string blocks. I it makes sense now.
    Old 08-04-2014, 08:51 AM
    Power Poster

Karen G your quilt is gorgeous!! I love the twenty-five and nine idea... Thanks for sharing it.
    Old 08-04-2014, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by nls
    ....Havplenty, Did you cut all your strips the same width for the Lego quilt? What size blocks did you make?
    Sorry too be confusing again. The pic I posted is not of my Lego quilt but I was posting to to show what a Lego quilt looked like. I am cutting all of my strings 1.5" in various lengths and also using some of my 1.5" postage stamps as I have 1,000's from my love of PSQ and the various swaps I have been in. I am making my blocks 10.5" uf.

I will post some of my blocks soon on my QB blog. I have about 70 more string blocks to make first. I have so many scraps and short fabric pieces gotta use them up. I am still sewing blocks for my Perkiomen Daydream quilt, my 1.5" PSQ, my string quilt and my Anna Williams inspired quilt.

PSQ's and strings quilts are a journey for me and not just a destination so I sew on them all most of the time. Of course I want the Legos quilt to enter into a scrap quilt challenge online. It's due in October and I think I can make it.
    Old 08-04-2014, 12:32 PM

Havplenty, I just spend the last3/4 hour wandering through Lazy Quilter's web site. What a good photographer she is and it gives a little glimpse into another world that has touches of ours, cowboy boots, quilts and featherweights. Thank you for the link.