Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups >
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

• 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

Old 02-12-2016, 07:05 PM

Pinked edges piece together well. I cut for the whole year so that I do not duplicate during other swaps, I save myself a set for reference in a marked baggie, & I file the 50 fabrics I used away from "active" fabrics. I just dug out 2013 swapped fabric perhaps to use in winter swap 2016 & found some to use in UFO Farmer's Wife, yeah - 125 6" blocks complete, almost time to decide on sashing, etc. I still want to swap some of the fabric that Miss Mary bequeathed to me in 2014, maybe one of 2016 FQ swaps. This is so much fun!
    hugs,
    dj
    Old 02-12-2016, 08:57 PM
    Power Poster

Well, I got my candies cut for the first 16 birthdays... in cards and all ready when those birthdays roll around. It really didn't take that long, using my stash of 2.5" strips. Let the birthdays begin!
    Old 02-13-2016, 05:11 AM

I have a bunch of 10" squares from a swap we did a couple of years ago. I can get 9- 2 1/2" squares plus a strip. I have candies cut and ready with a birthday card for the first 15 birthdays. Also I hold back 1 of every square I cut. Pinked edges are fine with me but when sewing, you have to take into account that the pinked edges are part of your 1/4" seam.
    Barb, how many are signed up now?
    Old 02-13-2016, 06:33 AM

I just did a mock-up envelope with 50 squares, lined up in two rows to fit inside a 6 X 9 envelope with a birthday card. I wrapped the squares in plastic wrap and weighed the envelope, and it came to 1 3/4 ounces @ $.71. I am going to run by the post office this AM to make sure, then buy enough stamps to take care of my mailings for the year. Now I can package up all my candies and be ready to mail! Looking forward to a year's worth of birthdays!!
    Old 02-13-2016, 08:11 AM

I found that tracking is included when you go to the post office and print your postage on the self-service machine.
    My post office is only 5 blocks away (yup. NYC gal) so I will do this once a month. I will trust my recipients to save the mailing for the actual birthday. ok? New member!
    Old 02-13-2016, 08:26 AM

Wow you ladies are sounding very organized! I love it.

Pinked edges are fine for the squares. I myself can NOT control my self at a quilt shop that sells those tiny little packages of already made up sets. Yikes I just have to buy one of each.

we have another returning swapper to join us this year....welcome back nls. So happy you will be joining us.

Two new swappers Onaemtnest and dotcomdtcm...(I'm gonna have to give you two ladies a nick name) Welcome to our swap.

So we have 25!!!!!!!!!! in our swap this year. I will close the sign up on February 19th. With a list of everyone in the swap and their birthday. So a little less than one week.

This year will be so much fun with contests and quilt a longs (QAL). I will be asking different quilters (only in good standing) to head up a QAL, I already have the first QAL ready to go on March 4th. Directions will be on the thread each Friday, the first project should take around 5-6 weeks. Just think about it....a finish project with our sweet little squares. QAL are completely your choice. They are just a suggestion and something to keep the interest of our swappers to coming and checking out the thread.

Barb
    Old 02-13-2016, 08:51 AM

Aha! So I should save some squares for myself. Thanks for doing thus Barb. I'm a retired art teacher with lots of free time.
    Old 02-13-2016, 09:40 AM

So, I went to the PO with my blank but filled 6" X 9" envelope and asked at the counter. The girl rings up $1.21. So I say, "Please get the template out and check, that should only be $.71. So she did and it fit perfectly through the slot. So I bought 40 2 oz stamps! Because they came in sheets of 20, and I figured "why not, I may be mailing more"!!

Now I will sit down and sort my candies into (hopefully) 30 piles of 50 assorted candies and be ready to mail. I have a large number of birthday cards and 6" X 9" envelopes. It's so easy to stack and wrap! What fun!
    Old 02-13-2016, 09:47 AM
    Power Poster

Welcome back nls! And welcome to onaemtnest and dotcomdtcm! This is going to be the most fun birthday swap year yet.

I'm so happy to have made a big dent in my drawer full of 2.5" strips when I cut my birthday candy! Win/win! Room for more now....
    Old 02-13-2016, 05:09 PM

Welcome to Onaem and Dotcom! Thanks for joining! I'm new here, too. This feels like a magnificent group!