Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups >
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

• 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

Old 02-24-2016, 04:57 PM
    Power Poster

NoraB, THANK YOU! I couldn't function all year without your spreadsheet for the birthdays! It really is an amazing help! I also jot down the post number where the person mentions receiving the swaps I sent. It's great to have a record just in case you need to find those posts.

Zozee, the quiltalongs will be a certain pattern and directed step by step, just like a mystery quilt only not a mystery. The first one will be the Arkansas Crossroads pattern, baby quilt or throw size. They are optional... just there to encourage us to use our candies as they accumulate. Used candies are always yummier than stashed candies!

Stay tuned Friday March 4 as we begin our Arkansas Crossroads.

If you have a certain pattern you'd like to do as a quiltalong, please do speak to Barb about it. I'm sure she's going to want suggestions.
    Old 02-24-2016, 05:03 PM

Yippee! I have my list made. I am a word document person so I made my own list. Noted the new names and and now will make my packets this weekend. I have some sets left from last swap because I made too many...... so some new folks will reap from my abundance! Just an FYI, my board name is WMUTeach (the "T" is capitalized too). Not a big deal and I will answer to both names.

Looking forward to new folks, new treats and the quilt-a-long. See y'all next Friday. (I am from southern Michigan so I can drawl just a little.)
    Old 02-24-2016, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    ...Just an FYI, my board name is WMUTeach (the "T" is capitalized too). Not a big deal and I will answer to both names.
    My capital letters were left off too. I'm trying not to let it bother me, but my OCD is giving me fits.

JENNR8R

p.s. All of my envelopes have been completed for three days. I feel like I'm all dressed up for a party with no where to go until March! 😀

Last edited by JENNR8R; 02-24-2016 at 05:36 PM.
    Old 02-25-2016, 06:12 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by JENNR8R
    I feel like I'm all dressed up for a party with no where to go until March! ��
    Only 4 days to go until it's March!

Can't wait to start the quiltalong with y'all... Hope my pinky is better healed by then. The other night, cutting I Spy squares, I sliced off the tip of my left pinky with a new Olfa rotary cutter! Those unguarded blades are DANGEROUS! I cant do a thing right now... and can barely type! I'm going back to my Fiskars cutter-- much safer.
    Old 02-25-2016, 06:44 AM

Got the list all printed out, thank you so much. It is so handy. Still working on the "Storm at Sea" candy quilt, better get busy if I'm going to do the quilt a long.
    Old 02-25-2016, 08:06 AM

Ouch sewbizgirl. Thankfully I can say I have never done that. (as I knock on my wooden desk) Hope your pinky heals quickly.
    Old 02-25-2016, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by NoraB
    Hi everyone....I'm looking forward to lurking and joining you on the Friday sew-a-longs (so I can use up my candies from last year). I hope you all work really hard to continue to keep this one of the best swaps on the board. Barbara is so organized and wants to help you too! Attached is a spreadsheet you can use to keep track of when you've sent and when it's been received throughout the swap. Maybe it can help you keep on track, but Barbara uses something like this and it seems to work for her. Have a great year!
    Thank you for posting your birthday list. I have downloaded it and printed it. I appreciate you doing this.
    Old 02-25-2016, 10:35 AM

Hi everyone....I see I have a few corrections to make on the list. If you can take a gander and post on this board any other corrections......I'll generate a new one on Saturday (Feb 27)........Barb, if there are any additions, just let me know! I'll be doing the quiltathon on March 4th in the afternoon........this will be fun! NoraB
    Old 02-25-2016, 12:17 PM

How to sort CANDIES was the question. I sort into colors like this: blue, green, yellow, pink, orange, red, purple, black, brown, tan and white. The multicolors I sort by background or a miscelanious pile. Then I go back to the piles and sort by light, Med, dark. I also sort out teal, and olive into seperate stacks. This works well for me and I keep them in 13" square boxes (from Costco). For anyone who is frugal, plastic fruit boxes work well too.

This is how I cut scraps: 3.5, 2.5, 2, 1.5 strips . These sizes can then be cut into squares or other shapes for scrap quilts. I save anything 1" or larger. I also save baticks but use them for whatever color is needed.

This idea comes from Quilt Teacher Bonnie Hunter. See her web site for many more ideas.

I'm looking forward to the Quilt-A-Long with many of you.
    Old 02-25-2016, 12:53 PM

Thanks trish b. For the Growing Up Odd quilt I just opened a couple packets and was just taking random colors. However, as I look at the Arkansas Crossroads that sewbizgirl has done I may want to have my colors sorted.