Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups >
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

• 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

Old 01-11-2017, 07:37 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by MizMelly
    Hi Birthday swappers. I just got my virtual hand slapped for using a copyrighted image. I was trying to figure out what, and the only conclusion I can come to is that it was one of those birthday greeting graphics. So just an FYI to anyone who pulls those pretty but tempting greetings off of Google Images, etc, be very careful what you post!
    Me too... only I have no idea what copyrighted image she was talking about! Some people need to find something productive to do with their time!
    Old 01-11-2017, 03:25 PM

Me Three.....I also just got my virtual hand slapped.

So sorry upcoming February Birthday girls, no pretty images from me to you.
    Old 01-11-2017, 04:52 PM
    Power Poster

Ridiculous. If its because of the birthday graphics we have been posting (since the beginning of the birthday swap), those are put up online for people to use. You search for "free birthday graphics"... so what is the problem??? I can see it being wrong to post pictures from books and such, but free graphics? Do they really expect a lawsuit over that?

So... there goes one very nice element of this swap.
    Old 01-11-2017, 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Ridiculous. If its because of the birthday graphics we have been posting (since the beginning of the birthday swap), those are put up online for people to use. You search for "free birthday graphics"... so what is the problem??? I can see it being wrong to post pictures from books and such, but free graphics? Do they really expect a lawsuit over that?

So... there goes one very nice element of this swap.
    It seems to me that they are just going down the list and sending that warning to everyone that posted something that came off the internet. I'll try my hand at creating something myself, but my graphic skills are pretty rusty. I do know I never used one that had a copyright banner on it.
    A side note: I worked for the past 15 years of my work history doing the copyright permissions for our online courses at the college. My boss was the copyright expert for the whole district, and I can hear her voice ringing in my ears now "just because it doesn't have a copyright notice on it doesn't mean that it's free". However, we were known to skirt that at times by using the Teach Act on occasion. I don't think we ever used it for graphics tho. We would just have our course production folks create something that illustrated the same information. Graphics are always a sticky issue. However, in this instance, I'm pretty sure we were OK since they were listed as "free". I used the same search engine to find graphics.
    Old 01-12-2017, 12:36 PM

My projects to keep me busy since we have no birthday's this month: I'm starting on step #5 of BH mystery quilt, and going to start Judy's mystery train #16 and maybe complete 1 UFO project and if I'm lucky, get my 2 1/2" log cabin quilt top together, before it becomes a UFO. I found a lay out pattern, but need to make 4 more blocks, so that slowed down that project for a while. Slowly making progress. Almost forgot, I have to make my quilting bee block for this month.

FYI, this weekend is the virtual quilt a long on the board. You will find the thread on the main section Friday or Saturday. It's fun to sew along and see what others are doing. It helps me work on my projects.

Happy sewing and try try to stay warm!!!!!
    Old 01-12-2017, 01:21 PM

I may have missed the post so will ask....do we know how many people we have for the b-day candies? Guess I should say how many birthdays are we cutting for?? Last I read on it, I thought it was stated that we might exceed the 30. I haven't started cutting this years and would like to get them done.....Help please
    Old 01-12-2017, 02:09 PM

I don't think we know yet? I'm cutting 36 of each, so I'll have some extras that never go to waste!
    Old 01-12-2017, 04:00 PM
    Power Poster

Where is Barbara, our Fearless Leader? I hope everything is ok with her. Haven't heard from her in a while. I'm sure she will have a rough idea of how many are in the swap for next year.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to bow out for a year. I just got a little burned out. I have tons of these candies, and haven't been using them all that much. I need to take a break from collecting for 2017/18... I'll still pop in and see what you all are up to here, tho. And I'm sure I'll join up again in the future. I've loved being part of this "family". If I think of another candy tute to post, I'll let you all know, for sure!
    Old 01-13-2017, 05:40 PM

Sewbizgirl, Thanks for the bag tute. I am starting on my first bag, my candies all are sewn and ready for the bag construction. What Fun.
    Old 01-13-2017, 07:08 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by trish b
    Sewbizgirl, Thanks for the bag tute. I am starting on my first bag, my candies all are sewn and ready for the bag construction. What Fun.
    Hope you have a good time with it, Trish. It really doesn't take long at all to put one of these together. I'm thinking of buying some leather handles for my next one.