Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups >
  • 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

• 2016/2017 Birthday Swap...now open for sign ups

Old 04-05-2016, 12:23 PM
    Power Poster

Thanks to oldcatlady and WMUTeach... your packages came today! It's wonderful that everyone is so prompt. Hope we can keep this up for everyone's birthday!
    Old 04-05-2016, 07:20 PM

I was thinking about carry mostly the cut pieces...like layer cakes, charm packs and candies. But just thinking about it. hmmmm
    Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Going to have to look up the Splendid Sampler, Dotty. It sounds like fun.

Barbara, as for fabrics, I just buy what I like myself, since I may be using it eventually if it doesn't sell. I have mostly prints for making children's quilts. Fabric is a sizable investment. I can't buy too much at one time. Maybe that's a good thing, LOL!
    Old 04-05-2016, 07:22 PM

Looking forward to seeing your quilt WMUTeach. I do know what you mean about the never ending box of squares. Seems to keep filling up. hmmm is that a good thing...
    [QUOTE=WMUTeach;7513915]
    Originally Posted by happylab

I started this pattern at my retreat this week-end. I am making the 2.5 variation, medium size and have about 1/3 finished in just one day! As so often happens, my box of 2.5 squares seems to be just a full as when I started. .

When I get the top finished....and I learn how to post a photo, I will show my results.
    Old 04-05-2016, 07:26 PM

ok my Michigan friend...where is this retreat???? sounds wonderful!

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    Well as retreats, go this was small only 30 women with machines! But I got one baby quilt top finished. Sandwiching, quilting and binding later. I used a jelly roll and the Bonnie Hunter "Pineapple Flower" pattern. Pictures in the future. I planned on making it smaller and making two tops from the one jelly roll. I ended up with one quilt and used one of the alternative layouts. Now I have scraps and UFO's. the quilt is pretty but 48" square which is large for a baby quilt but if I made it smaller, the beautiful pattern would have been lost.

I then moved on to a use my 2.5 in squares. Made all the 16 X 16 squares for the Calico Rose and most of the 9 X 9 squares for the alternate blocks. I will finish them at my craft night on Friday at church.

As usual we ate well, many UFO finished quilts, lots of gals working on the Farmer's Wife quilts and our mystery quilt for the year. We watched the temperature drop form 65 to upper 20's, rain turn to snow and kept cozy as our our machines hummed along. New roomie this retreat and how nice to get to know someone else! We found our lives are different and then so much in common. Good time had by all and we are already anxious for a 3 day week-end vacation in October! Same place same gals plus some who could not attend this time.

I highly recommend retreats! This one is very free flowing and we quilt what we want, no workshops but oh, so much sharing of ideas, opinions and skills and praise for efforts from those who understand the work and skills that it took to make the top.
    Old 04-05-2016, 11:12 PM

Hello, this is AHWU from the first few Birthday Swaps. I took the advise from some of you and skipped last year because the arrival of my baby girl. For sure, I probably would have been going crazy trying to do swap and taking care baby. I can't believe she is almost 1 year old. Not sure what I did this past year other then taking care the baby. I missed quilting very much and I missed checking on the quilting board for all the chatting. Well, I just got a lovely Birthday Card complete with a set of yummy candies from sewbizgirl for my Birthday. Thank you so much for remembering me. It was so nice to play with them and fantasized that maybe baby would nap long enough for me to make something. I just want to say hi to the rest of the birthday girls. I did not make it to the swap this year, maybe next year.
    Old 04-05-2016, 11:25 PM

I was wondering what happened to you, ahwu. So glad you dropped by! You are missed, girl!!!! Check this thread on Fridays when the baby is napping because we are doing QuiltAlongs (QAL) with some very interesting projects!!!
    hugs,
    dj
    Old 04-06-2016, 05:05 AM
    Power Poster

We miss you, ahwu! I wanted to surprise my birthday girl! Ha! Just save those candies and add to them. You will be able to sew again soon. Pop in and say hello anytime. We have a few visitors with us this year because of the quilt-alongs, so you won't be alone. Maybe next year everyone will want to join in the swap.
    Old 04-06-2016, 08:52 AM

Good morning all! Received a birthday pkg from nis and earlier, wmuteach. I can't remember if I posted that I received WMUTEACH or not so if so I am posting again. Your pkg is here on my desk but not checked received on my list. All is up to date now, There are 7 more to arrive!
    Old 04-06-2016, 06:17 PM

Good evening! I finished my Arkansas Crossroads quilt... That was fun... No more fun and sewing tonight... There is a screaming three year old to deal with. Ugh. Wish me luck.
    :[ATTACH=CONFIG]547241[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails image.jpeg  
    Old 04-06-2016, 06:40 PM

Lee, very pretty!!
    Sewbiz, you & hubby have same birthday. I'll be going to the base Saturday morning to see him & will not be online, so
    Happy Birthday to You!!!
    hugs,
    dj