Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap >
  • 2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

• 2022 - 2.5" Birthday Swap

Old 02-05-2022, 05:01 AM

Our winner for Groundhog Contest is.................JENNR8R

1. Which ancient Christian winter celebration morphed into Ground Hog Day? Candlemas https://germangirlinamerica.com/grou...man-tradition/

2. What animal long ago was used to predict the end of winter in Germany? badger https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-groundhog-day (I also found evidence that the Germany tradition used Hedgehogs as predictors of the weather, aka the end of winter.)

3. When was the first time Groundhog Day was celebrated in the United States. Feb 2, 1887 in Punxsutawny, PA https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-groundhog-day

4. When was the movie Groundhog Day released? Who were the “stars” beyond the that over sized rodent? 1993, Andie MacDowell and Bill Murray

5. Name two other cities in the US that have an office weather predicting Groundhog Day and celebration. Buckeye Chuck in Marion, Ohio & Cleveland, Ohio's groundhog -- Thistle the Whistlepig. Here are a few more cities that celebrate this silly holiday moment: Sun Prairie Wisconsin,
    Marion Ohio,
    Long Island, NY .
    Cleveland, Ohio,
    Manchester CT,
    Staten Island, NY
    Miltown Connecticut (recently deceased, 2022.)
    Essex New Jersey,
    Chattanooga, Tennessee,
    French Creek, West Virginia
    Howell, Michigan "Michigan's official groundhog, Woody the Woodchuck, who lives at the Howell Nature Center, apparently decided she didn't want to face this week's snowstorm and put off her prediction to Saturday." (Yes, it is true. Our February 2 snow storm here in Michigan sent our Woody scrambling for a few more days of slumber.)

Prize will go in the mail on Monday morning! Thanks to all who participated. We now know way more about groundhogs that is necessary! Tee-Hee-Hee. Happy weekend sewing everyone.

Last edited by WMUTeach; 02-05-2022 at 05:04 AM.
    Old 02-05-2022, 06:51 AM

Thank you WMUTeach! It was fun looking up all those Groundhog Day facts. Who knew there would be so much history surrounding February 2.

Originally Posted by WMUTeach
    Our winner for Groundhog Contest is.................JENNR8R

1. Which ancient Christian winter celebration morphed into Ground Hog Day? Candlemas https://germangirlinamerica.com/grou...man-tradition/

2. What animal long ago was used to predict the end of winter in Germany? badger https://www.businessinsider.com/how-...-groundhog-day (I also found evidence that the Germany tradition used Hedgehogs as predictors of the weather, aka the end of winter.)

3. When was the first time Groundhog Day was celebrated in the United States. Feb 2, 1887 in Punxsutawny, PA https://www.history.com/this-day-in-...-groundhog-day

4. When was the movie Groundhog Day released? Who were the “stars” beyond the that over sized rodent? 1993, Andie MacDowell and Bill Murray

5. Name two other cities in the US that have an office weather predicting Groundhog Day and celebration. Buckeye Chuck in Marion, Ohio & Cleveland, Ohio's groundhog -- Thistle the Whistlepig. Here are a few more cities that celebrate this silly holiday moment: Sun Prairie Wisconsin,
    Marion Ohio,
    Long Island, NY .
    Cleveland, Ohio,
    Manchester CT,
    Staten Island, NY
    Miltown Connecticut (recently deceased, 2022.)
    Essex New Jersey,
    Chattanooga, Tennessee,
    French Creek, West Virginia
    Howell, Michigan "Michigan's official groundhog, Woody the Woodchuck, who lives at the Howell Nature Center, apparently decided she didn't want to face this week's snowstorm and put off her prediction to Saturday." (Yes, it is true. Our February 2 snow storm here in Michigan sent our Woody scrambling for a few more days of slumber.)

Prize will go in the mail on Monday morning! Thanks to all who participated. We now know way more about groundhogs that is necessary! Tee-Hee-Hee. Happy weekend sewing everyone.
    Old 02-05-2022, 09:40 AM
    Power Poster

Congrats JENN! Good sleuthing!
    Old 02-05-2022, 11:50 AM

Congrats JENN - I too enjoyed a look through google for the fun facts. - really I needed something to do while waiting on hold with the IRS!!
    Old 02-05-2022, 12:15 PM

I am cleaning up some odds and ends of tasks this afternoon. Here is a photo of my first 2.5 quilt for 2020. Added the binding Sunday and just got around to photos today. 620 little squares out of my collection. Whoopee! Off to Project Linus.

Now on to quilting #2 for the year. Picture in a few weeks.
    Attached Thumbnails 2022-02-05-green-checkerboard-donation.jpg   2022-02-05-green-checker-board-back.jpg  
    Old 02-05-2022, 01:55 PM
    Power Poster

Love all that green, WMUTeach!
    Old 02-05-2022, 09:57 PM

Congrats Jenn3r! It was fun looking up all those facts that I had no idea about.

WMUTeach, I agree I love all of that green! Good idea on Project Linus.
    Old 02-06-2022, 05:11 AM

Wmuteach, love the green's.
    working on my 2nd postage stamp quilt, still trying to use up the never ending scraps.
    Old 02-06-2022, 05:47 AM

Terrific finish. May it be loved and appreciated
    Old 02-06-2022, 07:07 AM

Such a lovely quilt, WMUTeach! I like how each candy pops by itself beside the solid white. A great way to showcase the individual fabrics!