Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • Member Swaps and Round/Row Robins
  • 2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares) >
  • 2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

• 2023 - Birthday Candy Swap (2.5" squares)

Old 01-31-2023, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by ahwu
    HI to those who are new to the swap. I have joined a few rounds of birthday swaps in the past few years and was considering skipping this year because I did not quilt or sew much this past year. But I like receiving the candies and love preparing them to send out to the Birthday person. Can't resist. I got some new fabric and fussy cut took me a little while, but February Candy is finally in the mail today.
    So good to hear from you. Plenty of time for your birthday surprises to arrive on time. I agree the anticipation of opening all of those packages brings such joy!
    I lay my little squares in two long columns of about 23 per column and then add the extras on the top. They are layered but still very thin.and easily pass through the 1/4 inch slot at the Post Office. There are lots of different ways to stack your little squares depending on the size of the envelope you use, but just keep them thin, Packaging ahead does help them to snuggle together and flatten out. In the past I even put them under a heavy book for a couple of days. Silly but it worked to squish out the extra air in the envelope.

Stay warm everyone. Many of us are going to experience some bitter cold in the next few days. A pot of soup and a day in the sewing room seems like win, win to me.
    Attached Thumbnails winter-weather-ma_gree_20110201110947_640_480.jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-31-2023 at 04:56 AM.
    Old 01-31-2023, 10:28 AM
    Power Poster

Oh what a cute photo, WMUTeach! Is that a grandchild?

I was perusing a site that sent me an email today, Kitchen Table Quilting, and saw this cute plaid-type quilt pattern made with 2.5 candies. It's a for-pay pattern, but many of us are able to work without a pattern when it comes to just squares. Check it out!
    https://kitchentablequilting.com/col...-quilt-pattern
    Old 01-31-2023, 04:50 PM

Sewbiz. Not a grandchild but a piece of clip art that I used for at least 20 years. I would post it newsletters and presentations when directing parents about how to dress their little ones for outside play and the importance of enjoying winter and the silly innocence of toddlers.

Here is my first January finish using 2.5s. I posted the flimsy earlier but here is the finish! All scrap and all from stash. It was a bit chilly hanging this one outside, but I used my Energizer Bunny skills and hopped outside, snapped a photo and hopped back inside.

Thinking about Travelinggrandma's batik quilt to use up some batik squares and some I can create from stash.
    Attached Thumbnails 2023-01-30-donation-pl-48x56-336-2.5-sq..jpg  

Last edited by WMUTeach; 01-31-2023 at 04:54 PM.
    Old 01-31-2023, 11:36 PM
    Power Poster

Beautiful Square In Square quilt with candies, WMUT! I'm glad you had so many greens.
    Old 02-01-2023, 05:38 AM

WMUT - great finish. That is one pattern that works for almost any color or theme!
    Old 02-01-2023, 05:16 PM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Beautiful Square In Square quilt with candies, WMUT! I'm glad you had so many greens.
    Oh, honey, you haven't seen how many greens are left. I just started a new quilt this afternoon hoping to deplete the gold/yellow and orange collection. I am using Pat Sloan's "Childhood Memories" pattern from today. I just expanded it to use 2.5s rather than 2" squares. It really is just a chain pattern, easy peasy. It should end up 48 X 64 or there about. Good for a Project Linus, "big kids" quilt. Will see when I get to sewing the rows together.
    Old 02-01-2023, 06:25 PM

Just like candies stash never seems to go down, my scrap stash doesn’t diminish either. I’m making blocks from my scraps and I could make a dozen a day for a year and I’m not sure it would make much difference. I think I’m a scrap-aholic. I cannot throw them out, even the smallest pieces. Below is my work in progress.
    Attached Thumbnails 20f957d6-d4cc-492a-bb45-070268eeea23.jpeg  
    Old 02-01-2023, 11:06 PM
    Power Poster

I think I must be a scrap-a-holic too. I have stacks and stacks of beautiful yardage, yet I keep getting pulled back to the scraps! I just feel compelled to use them. It's satisfying to use something all up, isn't it?

I recently found a pattern I can't wait to get started on. It's called "Plaidish" and you use your dark, med, and very light scraps. The scrappier you go, the cuter your quilt.

https://kitchentablequilting.com/pro...quilt-tutorial

edit: This pattern is free, but you have to go through the checkout process to get it. You aren't charged anything.
    Old 02-01-2023, 11:09 PM
    Power Poster

Forgot to say I love your framed crumb masterpieces, Janice! I've seen some of those fabrics before.
    Old 02-02-2023, 03:42 AM

By my count, there are at least nine Boom swap fabrics in the blocks. That scrap of blue beside the rotary cutter handle is my oldest scrap. My first sewing project ever. A maternity top from 1983. Good grief!
    Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
    Forgot to say I love your framed crumb masterpieces, Janice! I've seen some of those fabrics before.

Last edited by Janice McC; 02-02-2023 at 03:44 AM.